SAP’s Cloud Strategy: The many layers of the onion
The diificultyof SAP to succinctly express its cloud strategy has been depicted by influencers, customers and now recently SAP itself. I’ve also emphasized that SAP’s cloud-related messaging must be improved.
After reading and hearing enough complaints on the subject, I decided I wanted to take a different approach.
I wanted to figure how why it is so hard to effectively communicate this cloud strategy.
I whipped a few slides together and then created a video of me talking about the slides. It was a one-take wonder – so I’m sorry about all the pauses and “umms” as I’m collecting my thoughts.
A quick summary:
- Quick chronology of SAP’s cloud efforts
- The variety of solutions and its impact of cloud marketing
- The impact of the reduction of complexity
- The need to cover all layers
- Satisfying all constituents
- Organizational factors: The three gangs
Note: My intention here isn’t to criticize SAP’s cloud marketing but rather – by exchanging chairs at the proverbial table – to better understand how their environment (historical, organizational, etc) influences their efforts.