My experience with SAP BO Design Studio on HANA
In this post, I would like to share my experience with SAP BO Design Studio on HANA.
Before jumping into Desing Studio,I had a fair experience on WAD(Web Application Designer) and Xcelsius(now its Dashboard Design).Dashboard is little or i would say more advanced compare to WAD, in terms of Visualisation capabilities.
One can impress the viewers(the information consumer) with the visually enriched Dashboard.But I feel that the developer who creates the dashboard should have a good amount of patience and knowledge to work with the different components,Excel formulas,Mappings,etc to develop a good and appealing dashboard.
Now its a time to move on with the new tool(SAP BO Design Studio) which I see, a kind of successor to Dashboard.
I went through some of the SCN pages about this applicaiton and came accross a blog post http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-design-studio/blog/2012/11/17/sap-businessobjects-design-studio–your-first-steps-to-find-it-download-it by “Tammy Powlas”.Simply followed the instructions (which are nicely written) and now the application is sitting in my laptop.I am good to go with that.
Quick installation,Landing Welcome page and Instant Links to various documentations pushed me to create some impressive visualization on top of SAP HANA.
Here we go…
1. Launched Design Studio and created a new analysis application targetting “Desktop Browser” with Blank Template option
2. Inserted a new Data Source(an Analytical View created using SAP HANA Studio) and made the initial selection of Dimensions and Measures
3. Now its time to place the components and do mapping.Actually i wanted to give a better look and hence placed an image component and assigned image.I was trying to find the direct “Browse…” button to assign an image,but finally came to know that the image has to be placed in the reporsitory location in order to map.Since the image is going to act as a backgorund,I reduced the Opacity.
4. Once the background is done,placed the required components like Cross tab,Button,Charts in the canvas
5. Mapped the Data Source in each of these components.Then I wanted to make these components to interact with themselves using “On Select” property.
For Eg: Clicking any row in the Cross tab should make the display accordingly in the charts.So I wrote the following simple scripts in the Editor.
6. There is a very nice Container Component called “Pagebook” with the help of this,you can make a sliding effect.I included that as well in my report.Finally gave the Title for the report with SAP Logo and changed the theme.
7. On publishing the report in the browser or though QR Code,here is the final design
8. Various kind of drill down is also possible with the help of “On Select” property
Drill down by Country -> Region -> City -> Customer -> Material and so on….
Overall it’s really a nice application for the developers who want to create and present the business data more visually and to make quick business decisions,ofcourse everything runs on HANA 🙂
Thanks for reading and comments are welcome!