At SAPPHIRE NOW in Madrid, I had the pleasure of interviewing Byron Banks, VP of product marketing for the SAP enterprise information management products, on the latest trends he sees in the space. As we discuss in the video, the majority of the effort required for successful business intelligence products must be devoted to getting the right data in the right place. Here are some of the topics we covered:
- What is Enterprise Information Management and why might somebody need it?
- What does SAP provide that is different from others?
- The new data sources — what are “unstructured” and “big data”?
- Is it time for text analytics to become more mainstream?
- From ETL (extract, transform, and load) to ELT — sharing out data transformation to the most adapted part of the system, from Hadoop to HANA
- The differences and connections between dedicated applications and EIM platforms
- How should we handle real-time data using things like CEP (complex event processing)
- Using data services in HANA to load data much faster
- The importance of data quality and information governance
- Where to find “trusted, unstructured information about EIM
[Apologize for the bad image quality, due to a technical issue with the camera — i.e. I used the wrong settings]