SAP JVM 4.1 Switch Procedure
The purpose of writing this document is to provide screen by screen procedure of the sapinst tool involved in the SAPJVM switch.
Why is SAPJVM Required?
Since 1st of October 2012, SAP JVM 4 is the only supported JDK for SAP Web AS 6.40 and SAP Netweaver 7.0 systems. JDKs from other vendors are not supported anymore. Please refer to notes Note 1495160 and Note 1708967 for more information.
Downloading the Standard Installation Guide
You can download the standard installation guide for your operating system from the http://service.sap.com/instguides under SAP JVM Switch Tool.
Please go through the installation guide before performing the SAPJVM switch.
1665953 – SAP JVM Switch Tool Composite Note
1555341 – Downloading SAP JVM Switch Tool and SAPJVM 4
1367498 – SAP JVM installation prerequisites
1603093 – SAP JVM 4.1 parameters NetWeaver 2004 and 7.0
Downloading the required Software:
You can find the current download path in Note 1555341 . Please access this note for any latest changes.
SAPJVM Switch Tool:
Support Packages and Patches -> My Company’s Application Components -> Complimentary Software -> SAP JVM 4.1 Switch Tool
SAPJVM 4.1 :
Support Packages and Patches -> My Company’s Application Components -> Complimentary Software -> SAPJVM 4.1
Performing the SAPJVM switching:
Perform the below steps in every application server Instance host of your system:
- Make a new directory in the local filesystem of the host of SAP instance and put the two SAR files SAPJVMSWITCH<version>.SAR and SAPJVM<version>.SAR
- Extract the SAPJVMSWITCH<version>.SAR using SAPCAR and do not unpack the SAPJVM<version>.SAR
- Start the sapinst that is extracted from the SAPJVMSWITCH<version>.SAR file and follow the below steps:
Enter the password of <sid>adm user:
Enter the path of SAPJVM software archive:
Please go through the note 1603093 before proceeding with the next step for the parameters that is changed as of SAP JVM 4.1
Server ID parameters:
Dispatcher ID parameters:
Server Bootstrap Parameters:
Dispatcher Bootstrap Parameters:
Instance Bootstrap parameters:
Check the box below
Adapt the Instance Profiles
1. Set the parameter jstartup/vm/home=<drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\<Instance>\exe\sapjvm_4.
2. Add the parameter SAPJVM_VERSION = <version of the SAPJVM4>
3. Restart the SAP instance
Verifying the SAP JVM 4.1 Switch
Go to http://<hostname>:5<Instance number>00/SystemInfo and you can see the JVM version as shown below: