SUP 2.2 was released yesterday and it has a good list of new features and improvements included. As usual it is without much noise that it is released, it would be nice if SAP made a bigger deal out of these new releases, created some nice videos and blogs for us but hopefully that will come soon.
The key theme of this new release is improved HWC, better end to end support and tracing and much more openness, placing SUP firmly into the role of a very strong Mobility Platform for apps developed with either SAP Provided tools or third party tools.
From my standpoint these are the main features in more detail. For full details visit Sybooks Online
With this SAP is really opening up the platform for third party tools, not just those announced earlier but others as well (Neptune is one example). What the REST API does is to expose the platform features (security, app registration, SSO, Native notifications and configuration) to any HTTP enabled SDK.
Hybrid Web Container
- NW Gateway and OData support for HWC
- Native notifications (push) with NW Gateway subscriptions
- Prepackaged Hybrid app from version 1, no longer an empty container in the beginning that then was populated with the hybrid app after intial connection to SUP
- New Hybrid app packaging tool that can be used to package an app developed in a third party development tool such as Sencha, Appcelerator or Phonegap. Should make it easier to take a current non SUP app and create a SUP HWC app from it for deployment to the SUP server.
- Cordova 2.0 comes with the platform with libraries linked in and ready to use. Now supports also Blackberry and Windows mobile along with previously supported Android and iOS.
Refactored OData SDK API´s, refined and enhanced. Explicit migration from earlier versions is going to be required and might involve some coding.
DataVault class with better password policy control, check/change passwords, delete data from the vault.
Native (push) notifications can be configured through the SCC
Streaming support for large data files (unlimited size) without storing in device memory
End to End Trace
Support for Solution manager, CTS/CTS+, HP LoadRunner.
Thats my high level overview – would be great to hear what features you find most interesting or useful.