Standard networks constitute the main function in assembly processing integrating both SD and PS. Based on the material number used in sales order processing and its corresponding mapping to the standard network in the transaction code CN08, the operative network is created for the sales order line item. Such operative network encompasses the schedules, milestones and costs as maintained in the standard network master data.
However these details pertaining to project logistics, lead times and costs are not always constant for a material code. They can be different based on the sub features of the materials. In order to capture precise nature of the material variant configuration is used in SD. It is possible that the network lead times, milestones and costs change due to the values maintained in variant configuration for the material, further necessitating the need for multiple networks to be mapped to a single material in CN08. This direct assignment of one material to multiple standard networks is not possible. To alleviate this problem, the concept of classification is used in standard network determination.
TRANSACTION CODES USED
CT04—Creation of Characteristics and their values for SD and PS
CL01—Creation of classes of class types 300 and 020 for SD and PS
CU41—Creation of configuration profile for the configurable material.
CL02—Include the characteristics in the class of class type 300 and 020
CL24N—To link the network class of type 020 to the standard network
CN08—To link the material number to the network class of class type 020
In order to enable the mapping of multiple standard networks to one material number, the following steps need to be considered.
- The material master should be created as a configurable material. Consequently the characteristics which are the deciding factors for determining the standard networks should be created. They should be included to a class of class type 300 which is applicable for variant configuration in SD. As all of us know, the characteristics and their values are created in CT04. The class of class type 300 is created in the transaction code CL01. The characteristics are included in the class of class type 300 in the transaction code CL02. This is followed by the creation of configuration profile for the material to enable variant configuration in sales order. This is done in CU41.
Some of the characteristics created for use in variant configuration in SD may determine the correct standard network during sales order creation. These characteristics responsible for determining the correct network based on the values selected for them in sales order, should also be made available in PS. Then only the link between SD and PS configuration is established. To do that a class of class type 020 should be created in the transaction code CL01. The class type 020 is a class relevant for standard network and hence it can be assigned to a standard network with predefined values.
- Now the classification in standard network is a subset of the classification in SD. Because both material master and standard network share a common set of characteristics, the inheritance of parent and child relationship is established in classification. The variant configuration in sales order becomes the parent for the classification in PS. For common characteristics the values maintained in sales order line item is automatically transferred to the child, in this case the standard network.
- The third step is to link a specific set of characteristics values to a standard network. This is done in the transaction code CL24N. If the initial screen is pointing to any other object like material number, then the assignment element can be changed by clicking the left most button to change to network class. In the class field, the network class is provided and the class type of 020 is given.
- Once the network class is given and the enter button is pressed, a new screen will come up in the same page.
- In this new area, the standard network name and network alternative are provided and enter button is pressed. Once this is entered, the characteristics of the network class will be available for entering the values.
- In this configuration area, the characteristics are provided with the values.
- This step means that the standard network is configured with the predefined values for characteristics.
- The last step is to link the material number to the network class in the transaction code CN08. Based on the requirement the mapping can have a network profile, standard WBS element, MRP controller etc.
- A sales order is created with the material which is mapped to the network class in CN08 with the required quantity
- The material is configured in the configuration screen
- Due to the transfer of requirements set up in the system, first CN08 is searched at to find the network class.
- From the network class, the network which has the common characteristic values as the sales order configuration is searched and determined
- Once the standard network is determined, an operative network is created by copying the standard network
- When the sales order is saved, the operative network is also saved with all the functionalities as set up in the standard network.
As classification is a well sophisticated functionality enabled in SAP, it can also be used to determine the activities, activity duration, their relationship, milestones, work centers etc dynamically based on the variant configuration in SD. Some of these simpler scenarios will be explained in the next document.