Software Update Manager (SUM) 1.0 introduction
Read this short blog to get a general understanding on what the SUM is and when to use it.
The Software Update Manager 1.0 is the tool for system maintenance:
- Release uprade (major release change)
- System update (EHP installation)
- applying Support Packages (SPs) / Support Package Stacks
- applying Java patches
- correction of installed software information
- combine update and migration to SAP HANA (DMO: Database Migration Option)
- System Conversion from SAP ERP to SAP S/4HANA
The term update is the generic term for all of these activities, and it is used in the SUM documentation as well.
SUM is used for all SAP NetWeaver based systems, so systems either based on AS ABAP, or AS Java, or based on a dual-stack system.
| ℹ Note:
“Software Update Manager for SAP HANA” was a different tool (see Distinguish SUM and SUM for SAP HANA).
Successor of other tools
The Software Update Manager replaces tools for upgrade, update, and implementing SPs:
- SAPehpi: SAP Enhancement Package Installer
- SAPup: tool for upgrading ABAP-based systems
- SAPJup: tool for upgrading Java-based systems
- JSPM: Java Support Package Manager
- CEupdateManager: tool for updating Composition Environment systems
- SolManUp: tool for updating and upgrading SAP Solution Manager systems
| ❗ Note:
For maintenance activities that are supported by the SUM, the usage of the substituted tool is no longer supported (except for SPAM) starting Q1 2013, see SAP Note 1589311.
The Software Update Manager 1.0 is available since 2011
- as part of the Software Logistics Toolset 1.0
- in the Maintenance Planner download list
- frequently updated (approximately three times a year)
- SUM 1.0 SP 20 is available since May 22nd 2017
ℹ Software Logistics Toolset:
Read The Delivery Channel for Software Logistics Tools: “Software Logistics Toolset 1.0” for an overview on the SL Toolset. Check http://support.sap.com/sltoolset to find the latest versions of the tools, the documentation, and the appropriate SAP Note.
Overview on SUM procedure
- Plan your maintenance activity (Maintenance Planner)
- Download the SUM and the documentation from http://support.sap.com/sltoolset
- Extract the archive to a folder on the primary application server of your SAP system
- Update SAP Host Agent to latest patch level; configure SAP Host Agent (see guide);
- Connect from your local PC via browser
- Configure the SUM, especially point to the stack.xml as result of Maintenance Planner
- Execute the maintenance on your system
- If adequate, provide feedback to SAP using the prepared form in SUM
Further blogs and informations
- SAP Note 2371752 on SUM SP 20 (login required)
Guides for SUM 1.0 SP 20 (login required)
- Relevant information for SUM:
Best Practices for Upgrading SAP Systems
- Introduction to shadow system for ABAP based systems:
SUM: introduction to shadow system
- Introducing SUM: video from SAP TechEd 2012 (Las Vegas) session ALM215:
- Details about the Process Overview:
Get to Know the Process Overview Reporting in Software Update Manager
- SUM asks for SAP Notes that cannot be applied?
Provide SAP Notes for SUM by transport, not SNOTE
- DMO: database migration option:
Database Migration Option (DMO) of SUM – Introduction
- DOO: deployment optimization option:
DOO: upgrade and optimize your AS Java based system
- nZDM with SUM:
Near-Zero Downtime Maintenance for SAP Business Suite Systems
- nZDM with SUM: video from SAP TechEd 2012 (Las Vegas) session ALM216:
- Customer transports inclusion:
Import of customer transports for upgrades and customer releases available in SUM
- Wonder when SUM is offered for download in Maintenance Planner download list?
-> SAP Note 1626435 (login required)
- NW System Upgrade Top KBAs and Recently Added/Updated KBAs and SAP Notes
Regards, Boris Rubarth
[Product Manager for Software Logistics, SAP SE]