Data Foundation is a term from the Information Design Tool, a new tool added to BO 4.0 for creation of the Universe or a Semantic layer.
Data Foundation is that part of the IDT interface, which displays the tables inserted from the database for Universe creation and joins created. Compared to the old Universe Designer interface, Data Foundation is nothing but the ‘Structure Pane’ from the Universe Designers in the earlier version of Business Objects, which displayed the tables and joins.
Information Design Tool provides two types of Data Foundations,
- Single Source Data Foundation and
- Multi Source Data Foundation
Single Source Data Foundation,
- As the name suggest Single Source data foundation supports single database connection
- Support Database Specific SQL Syntax
- Allows local or secured connection
- Allows universes to be published locally or secured server
Multi Source Universe,
- Opposed to Single Source DF, Multi source allows use of Multiple database connections
- Does not allow Universe to be published locally or use local connections,
- The Universe has to be published to the repository to be used as a secured connection
- Multi Source universe allows you to fetch data from multiple data sources varying in types like relational & OLAP.