Starting with SAP BI4.0 LCM is the only tool to promote content from one system to another, when systems are on the same version.
The promotion management application is integrated with the Central Management Console in BI4.0. LCM tool supports for promoting a object from the source system to the destination system (universe, reports, connections, Users/Groups and Rights from one system to another system).
The Life Cycle Manager tool supports the following features:
• Create a new job
• Copy an existing job
• Edit a job
• Schedule a job promotion (specify a time for job promotion: hourly, daily, weekly, monthly)
• View the history of a job
• Export as LCMBIAR
• Import both BIAR /LCMBIAR
• LCM enables you to promote info-objects along with the associated security rights.
Login with your Logon Credentials.
Creating the LCM Job:
To migrate objects, you have to first have to specify which content you want to promote. This is done in LCM tool with 3 main steps:
1. Create a Job: A job is collection of objects that can be moved from one BOE environment to another.
When you create a new job you must logon to the source system and an Input/Output FRS should be running and enabled, as the Job is saved as an Object in the CMS database and as a file in the Input FRS.
Select Source system as a Login to a New CMS.
Select Destination System Login to a New CMS.
Enter the save job folder, source and target systems and then select create option.
2. Add Objects: Add the required objects from the CMS repository that should be migrated.
Once you have selected the objects you want to promote, click Add&close. If you want to select things from multiple folders, make sure you click Add before navigating to a different folder.
3. Add the dependent objects: Objects such as universes, connections, images and other dependencies on which the primary objects depend on also have to be added to the job. LCM will automatically compute the dependents when you click on “Manage Dependencies”.( info objects are dependent on other info objects) If you do not use this option, the dependents are not promoted along with the job.
displays the list of info objects and their dependents
Select Apply and Close.
Select Promote Button. The Promote window appears with Summary Details.
The lifecycle management console tool supports the following security options:
• Do not Promote Security – If you select this option, jobs are promoted without the associated security rights.
• Promote Security – If you select this option, jobs are promoted along with the associated security rights.
• Include application rights – If the infoobjects in the job inherit any application rights, the job is promoted along with these application rights. This option is enabled only if you select Promote Security.
Test Promote: As the last step you can test what would happen when promoting the job, without committing the objects to destination
To promote a job you can schedule it or you can run it manually.
You can check Promotion status (success, Failure, Partial Success)
Rollback: This feature enables to restore the destination system to its previous state, after a job is promoted.
In Settings tab, we will see different options like “Manage Systems, Rollback Settings, Job Settings and CTS Settings”
Manages Systems: This selection displays a list of host names, port numbers, display names, and description.
Rollback Settings: We can enable/Disable Rollback Settings
Job Settings: We can restrict number of job instances that can exist in the system
CTS Settings:We can Integrate Transport Mgt Systems by using BW system/Web services system
The Override Settings option enables you to promote the overrides through a job promotion. If the overrides fail at the destination system during the promotion of objects the system sets the job status to “Partial Success” and Failed