To B or to B Flat? Vuvuzelas, Energy Solutions, and Alligators
Photo by jikatu
Until recently, few people were enlightened regarding the many industrial energy management principles to be learned from a vuvuzela (an instrument that is in the key of B flat, a note that drives alligators crazy.) Fortunately for us all, those dark ages are now past. Here are just a few ways that the vuvuzela can help guide you on your energy management journey:
- Harmonics. When a vuvuzela generates harmonics, it can blow out your ear drums. When an electronic system generates harmonics, it can blow out your equipment. Many people think industrial energy management is simply about “more or less”. It’s a lot more complicated than that. Some of the very technologies used to save energy – fluorescent lights, variable frequency drives (VFDs), and even the myriad computers running the software used to manage energy, can cause harmonics. Mitigating harmonics is a proven way to generate energy savings.
- Quality matters – a lot. The misconception that vuvuzelas are either on (annoying) or off (desired state) belies the fact that modulation of the input can actually lead to a desirable output – music. Similarly, the belief that energy is either on (wasteful) or off (desired state) is far, far from the truth. Modulating inputs, for example with VFDs, is a common method for energy management. Many industrial customers, quite justifiably, consider investments in power quality and power factor correction (read it; it involves beer) to be just as relevant for their energy management initiatives as investments in energy dashboards. Using energy visualization solutions can amplify efforts in other areas (amplifying a vuvuzela is not recommended).
- Hyundai cares. Hyundai invested in the world’s largest vuvuzela, measuring in at 35 meters in length and 5.5 meters in diameter. Hyundai also invests in energy management. All major automotive manufacturers have energy management programs for their manufacturing operations; embedded energy in the complex automotive supply chain is garnering increased attention. Integrating energy management expertise with supply chain management is becoming one of the skills needed for effective use of the invisible asset that is energy.
Would you like to learn more about energy management? Visit us at Sapphire NOW in Madrid and see demos of advanced energy solutions software, plus meet our customers who are realizing energy savings on a daily basis.
Specific points of interest include:
1. Ask for a demo of our energy and environmental software solutions at the industries and lines of business campus – speak to Kirill Rykov.
2. Attend a microforum and learn first-hand about Ferrero’s energy management successes – Wednesday from 2 to 3 p.m. (Session IL1633)
3. Session “IL1598” includes a panel discussion around “Minimize Operational Risk and Energy Use” – Thursday November 15th from 2 to 3 p.m.
4. Test drive our energy software throughout Sapphire at the Test Drive area.
Follow @MWEnergy on Twitter for updates.
Shortlink to this post is http://bit.ly/OVX05v