Control data volume through archiving.
Decommision systems no longer in operational use.
Retain data for internal and external audits.
SAP NetWeaver Information Lifecycle Management (SAP NetWeaver ILM) supports you in harmonizing your legacy system landscape in order to reduce system complexity and cost, diminish compliance risk, and maintain a green footprint in the environment. In can support you in simplifying your system landscape, for example in the following cases:
- Audits & Liability: Define minimum retention perios for business data which are controlled by tax audit or product liability regulations. These minimum retention periods define, how long business objects may not be deleted out of the system before the minimum retention period has elapsed.
- Data Privacy: Define maximum retention periods for business data which are controlled by data privacy regulations e.g. business data in the HCM application. These maximum retention periods define that business data must be deleted by the end of the maximum retention period at the latest.
- System Decommissioning: Transfer data of legacy systems that are no longer in operational use to the retention warehouse of ILM. The retention warehouse provides audit reporting capabilities. You can then shut down the legacy.
Reduce system landscape complexity: Shutting down systems no longer in operational use for business purposes while preserving full auditing and reporting capabilities for stored data
Reduce operations costs: No hardware, license, maintenance or similar costs for systems that can be shut down as they are no longer needed
Reduce hardware needs: Archive data to master increasing data volume
What is ILM?
ILM is a product belonging to SAP NetWeaver that covers the following aspects:
- Data destruction to follow legal requirements, e.g. in the area of data privacy
One instance for archiving and destructing data is sufficient for several systems and different releases.
- Retain different business records for different periods of time according to policy or legal requirements
- Define information retention rules for retaining records as retention objects
Data that complies to rule conditions can be destructed from an archive or directly from a database if growth rate is poor and no business need for retention exists any more.
- Store old data from de-commissioned systems in a Retention Warehouse
The Retention Warehouse provides reporting capabilities for audits.
- System decommissioning to shut down systems which are no more in operational use
Why using ILM?
You benefit from using SAP NetWeaver ILM, for example:
- Cover the data privacy requirements for data destruction of your legislation
- Simplify system landscapes through shutting down legacy systems and still stay prepared for audits with relevant data being stored in the Retention Warehouse and reporting capabilities
- Manage exceeding data volume that requires extensive hardware with data archiving
More Information on ILM
This introductory video explains the overall motivation of using SAP NetWeaver ILM with the focus on system decommissioning as example.
- Overview Presentation at SCN
This presenation describes the general concepts of SAP NetWeaver ILM and helps building a holistic strategy around it.
- Space in SAP Community Network (SCN)
The dedicated space on SAP NetWeaver ILM in SCN covers the potential and different aspects of ILM.
- SAP Library with Standard Product Documentation
The linked docu contains the version of ILM in Enhancement Package 1 of SAP NetWeaver 7.31 as an example. You can navigate also to the specific version for your release at http://help.sap.com.