Those of us in the United States just returned from a 1-day Labor Day holiday. So I thought this would be a great timing to tell you about a free event AND a new award. You could win this award and be the envy of everyone. That’s right…everyone. 🙂
We will hand out the award at the ASUG Data Governance SIG event. This event is free, and will be held on October 8 – 10 in Houston, TX. The event is co-hosted by customers Baker Hughes and Sysco Corporation, and will be held at The Westin Galleria Hotel. You can get a look at the agenda here (requires ASUG login). In summary, the conference is attended by both business and IT, and covers these topics. These topics are presented by partners and customers, who will talk about their own experiences, successess, and pitfalls:
- Data Governance, including DG Organization Models
- Ownership of the Data
- Beginning an Enterprise Information Management (EIM) Effort
- Master Data Objects/Subject Area Projects (i.e., Customer Master Validation Solution or Approval Workslow)
- Data Quality, Data Cleansing, Data Migration, Data Architecture, and Data Privacy/Data Sensitivity
- SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management (MDM)
- SAP BusinessObjects Applications for Data Governance
- Projects that Utilized Specific DG-related Tools
We also have a few post-conference sessions on the technology that can support your Information Governance journey. These sessions are focused on SAP solutions and are geared towards providing the next level of product detail..
- Workflow for Information Governance Experts: In this session you will learn how you can use SAP Business Workflow to enforce service-level agreements and how you can automate and audit your information governance processes. This session will walk through specific examples of using workflow to enforce governance, including master data, transactional, and financial controlling examples. In each example you will learn how the workflow was designed and how to use workflow to enforce SLA’s. The presentation will cover specific examples of the workflow reports and how they can be used to audit and enforce accountability in your governance processes.
- Information Steward Deep Dive: In this session, you’ll go beyond the nice data scorecard pictures you’ve seen in SAP BusinessObjects Information Steward. The presentation will cover how to create validation rules that can drive data-quality levels, and how to re-use those validation rules across multiple sources. (And ultimately, how to use those validation rules to create compelling data scorecards.) The presentation will also cover how to use the metadata gathered from your environment to help prioritize information governance work, and then document the standards that data stewards develop.
- Unlock the Power of Information by Applying Governance to End-to-End Data Management Scenarios: In this session you’ll learn how SAP Master Data Governance provides you an MDM platform with ready-to-use, domain-specific master data governance applications to centrally create, maintain, and distribute master data. SAP’s Information Steward helps you gain continuous insight into the quality of your master data and address quality issues immediately by triggering a remediation process in SAP Master Data Governance. Together, they are a unparalleled combination that focus on an end-to-end data governance strategy, and can be instrumental in justifying the investment you make. You will also learn about the rapid deployment of master data governance wih the information stewardship deployment solution.
- ASUG and SAP Information Governance Benchmarking and Best Practices Survey: By now, you’ve heard the phrases “data as a strategic asset” or “enterprise information assets”.. But how do you get there? Most corporations are just scratching the surface of practices to put in place to actually support information as an enterprise asset. The incorporation of information governance as a discipline, including tools provided in the SAP enterprise information management and SAP NetWeaver solutions, is viewed by many companies as a way to obtain deep insights into how their organization is using information, and how information enables their success. In this session, the ASUG and SAP benchmarking team will help you fill out the survey, and you will immediately see where you rank against your peers. We’ll also help you interpret the results, so you can more easily gauge which key areas you need to improve in.
You do a lot of work to sell your organization on the value of information management. You are perhaps the most cross-functional group in the company! You slave over details that no one else realizes are important–until something breaks. You know about both % of nulls on key fields (and why that matters) AND the impact of quality address data to a good Day Sales Oustanding number. But rarely do you see the spotlight.
We believe you are oustanding, and more people need to know about it. Stop hiding your candle under a bushel. 🙂 To that end, SAP and ASUG are unveling the first ever Information Governance Excellence Award–the IGgie. The IGie Award is intended to recognize a team and/or project for your work in the Data Governance/Information Governance space. Many of you have paved the often unchartered and under-appreciated data path. ASUG Headquarters, Data Governance SIG Leadership, and SAP want to recognize your hard work and achievements. The IGie is a showcase for YOUR accomplishments. For more details on the IGie Award and the application process, please use the attached link to get to the IGie Application Award Form: http://jive.asug.com/docs/DOC-32740;jsessionid=E0D49A8BE75DBB5887F13B44DA662B13 Official IGgie rules are posted here: http://fm.sap.com/data/UPLOAD/files/IGgie%20Award%20Official%20Rules.pdf
The process is simple and the form is short. Any other excuses? Apply. How many times do you get the chance to come home from a conference with an awesome award?!? (BTW, it looks great on a resume, too.)