As our world becomes increasingly digital and mobile, the changes give businesses incredible advantages – while also opening new avenues for fraud. And a large portion of fraud is internal. Whether employees stumble onto private or sensitive information or seek to commit fraud with malicious intent, the risks are real: financial loss, failed audits, regulatory fines, and brand damage.
The majority of fraud and misuse, in fact, arises from within employee ranks. Sometimes it’s intentional; sometimes it’s not. Whatever the source or intention, the SAP® HANA platform supercharges fraud detection and prevention, monitoring everything from purchase and payment fraud to false expense reporting, billing errors to credit card misuse. Anti-fraud services from SAP built on the SAP HANA platform can help you:
- Identify fraud before damage occurs
- Improve the efficiency of your fraud investigations
- Keep up with changing fraud behaviors
- Reduce your rate of false positives
- Automate the fraud-detection process
- Check all transactions for fraud while minimizing business impact
Some companies that use SAP solutions for purchase-to-pay, order-to-cash, or HR processes turn to third-party providers for fraud detection, while others use proprietary relational databases. In either case, the need to export data out of the SAP system compromises both data security and governance. Such an ex-post approach, which analyzes only historical data, also creates delays – and does nothing to catch fraud as it happens. Finally, most third-party solutions limit the amount of data that can be analyzed.
Anti-fraud services from SAP solve all these problems. You’re protected by SAP standards for data governance and security. And the combination of SAP HANA; SAP BusinessObjects™ Business Intelligence; and SAP Governance, Risk, and Compliance (SAP GRC) solutions give you enhanced real-time fraud analysis.
Anti-fraud services from SAP use SAP HANA to detect, investigate, analyze, and prevent irregularities or fraud in even ultra-high-volume environments. Experienced consultants combine your own rules with advanced predictive methods to create custom detection strategies, which alert you to any possible fraud. It analyzes transactions in progress from both SAP and non-SAP sources – including data from claims, tax statements, and payments systems – to provide complete insight into all the information related to internal business processes such as purchase-to-pay or order-to-cash transactions.
Anti-fraud services from SAP address internal fraud in four ways:
- Prevention. Identifying fraud patterns, and predicting their impact, can be difficult and time consuming. Automated fraud detection strategies, calibrated with weighted risk factors and thresholds, substantially reduce both manual effort and false positives. And SAP HANA allows you to use both SAP and non-SAP data for real-time simulation and strategy calibration – so you can increase accuracy while streamlining detection.
- Detection. Fraud is often detected only after a transaction is completed. But with SAP HANA, you can execute high-speed mass detection at any point, as often as needed, and within any transaction. The result: Early identification of potential fraud. Furthermore, fraud detection patterns can be integrated into existing control infrastructures based on SAP Process Control, so you can proactively prevent fraud based on known and anticipated patterns.
- Investigation. You need to put your time and energy where it counts. Up-to-date fraud scoring increases ROI by focusing reviewers on high-score, high-value cases. On-demand information and advanced alerts help teams cost-effectively process cases faster. Additionally, fraud analysts can use SAP HANA to support interactive investigations, executing detection patterns on-demand for immediate results.
- Monitoring and optimization. Poor control and lack of insight can delay fraud signals and limit performance. Anti-fraud services from SAP help you create operational reports whose accurate, consistent, and transparent data support more informed decisions using SAP BusinessObjects solutions. Real-time monitoring and optimization of investigations help you react immediately to changing fraud behaviors while resolving cases quickly and efficiently.
Anti-fraud services from SAP can help you manage fraud more efficiently and effectively. For more information on how SAP HANA can help unlock the value of your business, visit us online.
What is your biggest challenge related to fraud detection, prevention, or investigation?
About the Author:
Oliver Derksen, Principal Consultant GRC & Assurance, CISA, Oliver.Derksen@sap.com
I joined SAP Consulting back in 2006 after spending more than 10 years as a security consultant working for different consultancies including Siemens. The bulk has been Identity Management and GRC. After finishing my extra occupational Masters Degree in Risk and Compliance Management, I now work in the area of risk and assurance with particular emphasis on fraud.