After looking at the driver management requirement, Rather than proposing any custom development, standard maintenance orders can be utilized to meet this demand. I’m proposing to use maintenance orders, which I would rename it as Route Orders. The requirement for the driver and route management is the following;
- We should be able to name routes
- We should be able to assign drivers to it
- We should be able to assign vehicles to the routes
- We should be able to see, which vehicles and drivers are available
Please find the following steps, which will help us to complete this business cycle;
- A work center is defined ‘SWM’, which basically will house the drivers and will also indicate the available capacity. Drivers will have employee masters (including for contract drivers). These drivers would be assigned to the work center. In case they don’t want to create employee master for contract labor, they can create a dummy employee master with name ‘Contractor-01’, etc.
- All the routes can be named as operations in maintenance order. This can be defaulted from a saved task list also.
- The assignment of the driver to every route will happen from the planning board. We can see here, we have 3 routes and we need to plan for these routes.
- The driver’s availability is also indicated from HR master, so allocation cannot happen incorrectly here. The assignment of the driver will be done by the planner/controller of SWM department.
- It then takes the planned split and then the allocation can be done, which will indicate the driver as occupied,
- Once dispatched, the graphical board looks like this;
- Once the drivers are assigned, these routes can also be assigned to the fleet
- Now, we have standard reports, which can help us look at the overall scenario. The report shown below indicates the orders, driver employee number and the vehicle assigned, all in one screen.
- Personnel can be monitored and the Order operations i.e. Routes can be confirmed from the screen shown below
I hope this solution caters to the requirement and mapping with the standard scenario would help in having zero custom objects.