By this time most of you have been aware of the PI java only installation option that has been made available from PI 7.3 onwards. One of the major limitation of Java only installation is the omission of ccBPM capability which was available with dual stack. However the process orchestration package (which is available from 7.31 releases onwards) enables you to model and design business processes effectively.
Process Orchestration –
Process orchestration provides you the infrastructure that leverages the capabilities of PI, BPM and BRM. It enables you to design the business process flow and all other entities required to integrate SAP system and external systems. Also the BRM component allows you to add organizational business policies and rules to the core business processes.
Key things to know about Process Orchestration –
- You can obtain Process Orchestration by installation only. Deployment of BPM on an existing AEX or deployment of an AEX on an existing BPM system is not supported.
- Process Orchestration runs on one system. The PI and BPM components are installed on the same technical system (same system ID). Only the java stack is involved.
- Business process modeling is done in the process composer perspective of the NetWeaver Developer studio.
- The interface design is carried as usual in the ES Repository and it can be imported in the process composer of NWDS.
- The “internal” communication between the AEX and the BPM runtime is based on the XI 3.0 protocol (using a SOAP communication channel).
- At runtime, a business process is monitored using the monitoring capabilities of SAP NetWeaver BPM and AEX.