What is Silent installation?
A silent installation is one which does not display any indication of its progress.
What is Unattended installation?
An unattended installation is one which does not require user interaction.
In short Silent/Unattended installation means installer will not ask user for any information such as License Keycode, Organization etc. The installer will read required information from .ini file and will run in background.
Silent/Unattended Installation of Xcelsius 2008 on Windows Operating System:
There are two major steps for Silent installation of Xcelsius 2008:
A. Creating .ini file:
First we need to create a .ini file. This file will contain all information required by Xcelsius installer during installation process such as Xcelsius License Key, Organization etc. If we want to perform Silent installation of Xcelsius on multiple machines, we can create .ini file on one machine and use it on other machines.
Here are the steps for creating a .ini file:
1. Go to windows command prompt and navigate to the directory where Xcelsius 2008 setup.exe is located.
2. Now execute setup.exe –w C:\SilentInstall.ini command:
i. -w stands for write
ii. C:\ is the path where we want to store created .ini file
iii. SilentInstall.ini is the name of .ini file. We can give any name to .ini file.
3. Notice that following window appears. Keep English as the default installation language and click on OK.
4. Click on Next.
5. Accept License Agreement and click on Next.
6. Enter Full Name, Organization, Product Keycode and click on Next.
7. Select desired language pack if any and click on Next. I have not selected any language pack.
8. We can select either Typical or Custom installation type and click on Next. I have selected Custom.
9. Click SDK and select ‘Will be installed on local drive’.
10. Click on Next.
11. Now click on Cancel.
12. Click on Exit Setup.
13. Click on OK.
14. Now go to C:\ location and notice that the SilentInstall.ini file is created automatically.
15. Here is the contents of the SilentInstall.ini file:
B. Start Silent Installation:
The second step is to start installation using .ini file created in the first step.
Here are the steps for starting silent installation:
1. Go to windows command prompt, navigate to the directory where Xcelsius 2008 setup.exe is located and run setup.exe –r C:\SilentInstall.ini command:
i. -r stands for read.
ii. C:\SilentInstall.ini is .ini file containing necessary information for completing the installation and will be used by the Xcelsius installer.
3. Now the installer will read all settings from SilentInstall.ini located at C:\. We will not see any prompt for License Keycode or Full Name. After 10-15 minutes depending upon system memory the installation will complete and we can see Xcelsius listed in All Programs under Start menu.