Skip to Content

One day, I faced with an issue when a user has a webservice that he wanted to use with SUP. Since SUP supports WSDL webservices, it is possible to create MBOs, but it is not simple to make them work. Some of webservices have a response for which the SUW cannot generate XSLT properly. This blog post describes few steps that you can do to figure out what is wrong.

A little theory:

When you access the webservice, the server returns you an XML file in a format which is usually described in the WSDL schema. SUW generates an XSLT file based on the server information (maybe WSDL or XML response) and converts it to a standard XML file: XSLT Stylesheet Syntax. Sometimes the generated file does not transform the XML result in a proper way, and you cannot see records in the Preview windows.

First of all, you have to download Fiddler and install it (www.fiddler2.com). I would recommend that you use the beta version, just because I like everything new. In the Fiddler options you should remember the port which we will use later: Tools -> Fiddler Options -> Connections. In my case, it is 8888.

Then you should launch SUW and configure the local proxy server (we will send all our HTTP responses through Fiddler):

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/suw_120659.png

Now, if you connect to your webservice using the Enterprise Explorer, you will get the following picture in Fiddler (p.s. we will see the complete WSDL):

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/fiddler_120660.png

Now, we need to check the webservice that does not work. This webservice is called flConsultaClientes.Now, when we drag it on the SUW, we will see that XSLT is not generated automatically 🙁

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/empty_120661.png

To be honest, for our case we can write any valid XSLT just because we need to see the server response. Let us do it and then press the Previewbutton. I used the XSLT file from the Sybase help link. (it is invalid, but you can easily find the mistake)

We are more interested in the Preview dialog window. I know that the webservice should return me some XML response, if I specify the 139 argument. I will do this and check the Fiddler window:

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/failure_120662.png

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/service_120663.png

Now, the solution is very simple: I should write a correct XSLT file to transform this XML to a correct format. I did this, and got the following result:

/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/results_120664.png

If you are interested in more technical details, you can read our discussion with the user. I just wanted to show you how to get more information than SUW provides.

By the way, yes, you can use soapui. But in my case, this tool did not handle the authentication correctly.

To report this post you need to login first.

Be the first to leave a comment

You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.

Leave a Reply