Eclipse Juno is here! And Neo Tools are ready for it.
Today is a very special day for all people who are close to the Eclipse community. On the last Wednesday of June every year the Eclipse community releases the so called Eclipse Simultaneous Release – a coordinated release of all major projects – also known as the “release train”. Traditionally each of this yearly releases is named after a Jupiter moon, a scientist or something else related to space and mythology. The release this year is named “Juno”.
You may visit the Juno landing page to learn what’s new. One of the greatest highlights is that with this release the Eclipse distributions switch from the 3.x generation of the platform to the new 4.x generation. And, of course, this comes with tons of new features and improved user experience.
What does this mean for SAP NetWeaver Cloud?
In the documentation we recommend to download the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers from the download site of the Eclipse Foundation. Until today the default version on this download site was Indigo SR2. From today on it is the Juno version.
The Eclipse Tools for SAP NetWeaver Cloud already supports both Indigo and Juno versions of Eclipse. The only thing you should care about is to select the correct update site to install the tools from:
Note: Don’t forget to consult the installation instructions before installing the Eclipse Tools for SAP NetWeaver Cloud. If you run into issues with the installation, take a look first at this FAQ page.
Upgrading from Indigo to Juno
If you have already setup an IDE based on Indigo, it is possible to upgrade it to Juno in a few simple steps:
- Open the Install Manager: Help > Install New Software…
- Register the Eclipse Juno update site: enter http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno in the “Work with” field and hit Enter. Wait for the update site to resolve and show its content. Do not install anything from there.
- Register the Neo Tools update site for Juno: enter https://tools.netweaver.ondemand.com/juno in the “Work with” field and hit Enter. Wait for the update site to resolve and show its content. Do not install anything from there.
- Exit the Install Manger: hit the Cancel button.
This is not really intuitive, but this entry point of the Install Manager is not powerful enough to update the features from more than one update sites at the same time.
- Call Help > Check For Updates.
This entry point has the real power. It will check all registered update sites for updates of the already installed features and will suggest to update them in one step.
- Follow the wizard to complete the update process.
Is it mandatory to upgrade to Juno?
No. It is absolutely OK to stay on Indigo for now. It’s up to you to decide if you choose Indigo or Juno. Our plan is to support the last two official Eclipse releases. Today this means Indigo and Juno. Next year same time this will mean Juno and Kepler. Therefore, we will support Indigo for at least one more year.
Enjoy Eclipse Juno and have fun with SAP NetWeaver Cloud!