My first Sybase ASE migration experience
As a Certified Migration Consultant and a SAP Partner, we decided to work on Sybase ASE to get experience on SAP’s new database.
SAP released Sybase ASE Kernel for specific SAP versions. Supported SAP solutions are:
- SAP ERP 6.0 incl. EHP5 based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2
- SAP CRM 7.0 incl. EHP1 based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2
- SAP SRM 7.0 incl. EHP1 based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2
- SAP SCM 7.0 incl. EHP1 based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2
- SAP NW 7.0 incl. EHP2
- SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR1
You also need the specific Kernel, Installation Master and Sybase ASE RDBMS DVD’s for Installation and Migration to Aybase ASE Database.
Our Accounting System is running on Windows 2008 R2/SQL Server 2008 R2 with version ERP 6.0 EHP5 SP10 and 54 GB Database size. We decided to do a migration to Windows 2008R2/Sybase ASE 15.7 and here I’ll share my first experience with Sybase ASE.
First of all, we needed to check the compatibility of our source system with the target and find out that all conditions are met.
|Source Platform||Is it ok for ASE Migration?|
|SAP Solution and Release||SAP ERP 6.0 EHP5||Yes|
|SAP Basis Release and SP Level||BASIS 7.02 SP 10||Yes|
|Operating System||Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 SE||Yes|
|Database||SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 SE||Yes|
|Database Size||54 GB||–|
- Downloading ASE related DVDs mentioned in Note 1591424.
51041592 SAP Business Suite 2010 Installation Master Sybase GA
51041595 SAP Kernel 7.20_EXT for BS7i2010 Sybase GA
51041596 Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 15.7 RDBMS GA
- Download the ASE, SAP Kernel and ASE ODBC Client Updates to meet the minimum version requirements mentioned in note 1591424. They’ll be installed during migration.
Source System Export
We started the source system export with source system’s Installation Master DVD (in our case it is 51041254 BS7i2010 Installation Master Windows Server on x64 64bit)
It is normal export process, nothing new
Target System Installation with Export Data
We started the Import on target system with Installation Master for Sybase ASE and suprise 😛
There is no option for migration / system copy under ERP 6.0 EHP5 Tree. You can only use the NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 Migration options (which are same in fact)
As usual, for ASE SAPINST asks for datafile placement
And asks master password for Database users (sapsa, sapsso, SAPSR3)
And also the migration key. But the standart migration key given in Note 1339717 – Hom./Het.System Copy SAP NW 7.0 incl. EHP 2 doesn’t work.
You’ve to apply for Migration key via http://service.sap.com/migrationkey
The rest is almost same as other migrations.
During installation, Sybase ASE is automatically installed by SAPINST like DB2 (Oracle and SQL Server must be installed seperately and manually 😎 )
And 2 OS services installed (for Windows of course). These services can be used to restart ASE DB.
Before Import, you’ve to update the SAP Kernel, R3load, Sybase ASE RDBMS and ASE ODBC libraries. For this you’ve to stop the SAPINST before ABAP Import. In my previous blog TIP: How to stop OS/DB Migration before Import Phase? I mentioned a way and community added the others.
For updating, you’ve to follow instructions given in SAP Notes + plus some tips from Sybase Community. I’ll write a second Blog on ASE Administration Tips.
After migration, database size growth was suprised me. Here is the result:
|Source Platform||Target Platform|
|SAP Solution and Release||SAP ERP 6.0 EHP5||SAP ERP 6.0 EHP5|
|SAP Basis Release and SP Level||BASIS 7.02 SP 10||BASIS 7.02 SP10|
|Operating System||Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 SE||Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 SE|
|Database||SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 SE||Sybase ASE 15.7|
|Database Size||54 GB||105 GB|
We’re still discussing the reasons for DB size growth on the discussion Maximum DB size for SAP on ASE?
But here are the brief lessons learned during migration;
- Sybase ASE is automatically installed by SAPINST
- Sybase ASE update required some manual commands and script executions
- Command line management is easy
- Some Important System Parameters can be modified on-the-fly (dynamically)
- Standart Migration Keys given in SAP Notes are not working
- Database size grows twice of SQL Server 2008 R2 size although both supports PAGE compression (We’ll investigate this case with SAP and update with comment to this blog)
- DBACOCKPIT (Webdynpro ABAP based) interface is used to monitor and manage Sybase ASE Database
- There are some interface problems exists on DBACOCKPIT