Job Monitoring Tool – ZZSM37
This tool focuses on monitoring part of batch jobs. This idea can be extended to creation, scheduling, copy and deletion of batch jobs.
T-code SM37 is used to view batch jobs based on single batch job/ user name combination. User can either enter single batch job or needs to enter wild search e.g. ‘RBD*’ or ‘*’. Currently there is no option to enter multiple batch jobs in the selection screen. Also, user cannot save its own variant. This tool will give user flexibility to execute/ monitor multiple batch jobs in a single go.
This tool is most applicable where there is high dependency on batch jobs. Here, user can enter multiple job/ user names on the selection screen with an option to see unique executions. Also, user can save its own variant.
Screen Layout and Execution steps
Selection screen will have 2 additional selection criteria i.e. Long Running Job and Display Lines per job in addition to existing one.
Long Running Job (sec): This is an optional field. If user wants to monitor jobs which are running in system for more than xx secs (based on job & user selection criteria) then he/ she can enter no. of seconds in this field. Note: If user has entered 500 secs then output will show only those jobs which ran more than 500 secs for the selected job statues.
Display Lines per job: This is an optional field. If user wants to see xx no. of runs (based on job & user selection criteria) then he/ she can no. of lines to be displayed per job. For e.g. if a job is cyclic in nature and user wants to see only last 2 runs of the job then can enter 2 in this field.
On execution, it will give output in the form of ALV report which has below existing SM37 fields
In addition to this it will have following additional fields.
Advantages of this tool:
- User can enter multiple job/ user names on the selection screen with an option to see unique executions.
- This tool will give all the job related information in a single snapshot including the program, variant and corresponding IDOC related details.
- Would eliminate the need to manually put single job name or wild card selection (rbd*) and skim through the long list to the desired job
- Users can create their own desired variants and have one session going all the times and there by easing up the monitoring effort.
- Since batch job is an integral part of SAP, this tool will have a potential to be leveraged by anyone who uses SM37.