BDC Browser – Troubleshooting Pointers
BDC Browser tool in Duet Enterprise FP1 accelerates the development process to a great extent.
The how-to-guide explains BDC Browser tools configuration in details http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-20126.
The BDC browser service settings can be obtained via (t-code /iwtng/bdc_browser -> From the menu choose ‘Tool Settings’ -> Service Settings).
These settings are picked up at runtime while creating a BDC model. If anyone of the value is incorrect or wrongly configured, BDC browser will throw an exception. So doubly make sure all the values are proper.
Here are certain best practices or the trobleshooting pointers which will help you to configure and trobleshoot the BDC Browser tool related issues.
ESR System – Pre-req, RFC Connection, User
- The SAP_XIESR component (Java stack) of ESR system must be on either of these releases (if not get it to this level),
7.1 EhP 01 SP04
7.3 all SPs
- A type G RFC destination is created in Gateway system to connect to ESR system. Path Prefix in the RFC destination must be /rep .
- The user in RFC logon tab must have development authorization in the ESR system.
- The software component version created in ESR must be a number and not too long, for e.g. 7.10.123
- The namespace created in ESR should follow proper naming convention for e.g. http://abc.com/xyz. (abc and xyz are hypothetical values, the format should be like as specified ).
WSIL and WSDL RFC Destionations in Gateway System
- WSIL RFC destination (IWFND_WSIL_LOCAL_DEST) should have GW system as the host and path prefix must be /sap/bc/srt/wsil Note that there is a typo in the original document for the path prefix. In the logon tab, use a user which has access to WSIL url.
- WSDL RFC destination (IWTNG_WSDL_LOCAL_DEST) should have GW system as the host. In the logon tab use a user which has authorization to open WSDL (or any development user).
- Note that you must already have DUET_ENTERPRISE_SAML profile in your Gateway system. This profile is used for creating Business Scenario, DEFAULT_SCENARIO (or you can use a different name as well), make sure this name is present in the service settings tool.
These are some of the top reasons why BDC browser may result in error. You can also check the transaction /iwfnd/view_log for more details on the errors.
Hope this blog helps you finding the root cause for your problem.
Thanks for this post. It's focused on some key points easily missed following the How to.