Best practice when you do a Manual Compression
Best practice when you do a Manual Compression:
- Get the approval from Business/Functional Analyst for Compression.
- Compression should be done in non-business hours/after business hours .i.e. Ensure no data loads/ no activities are performed on the selected data target to be compressed via manual process or by automatic schedules (in process chains).
- Analyze/Identify the cubes to be compressed by checking the number of requests that has to be compressed and also the number of records per each request.
- Check with the DBA and Basis teams and ensure that no Ad-hoc/Scheduled activity is performed or no maintenance activities are planned on the selected targets/tables during the compression planned period.
- Capture the table sizes (F/E) for all the listed cubes before and after compression.
- Test the compression in Quality and prepare an estimation sheet for the compression times with respect to volumes
- Prepare and review the draft plan for the data deletion in Production to include detailed technical steps and estimated time taken etc.
- Communicate to business and get approval from Technical Analyst/Lead from Customer as required on duration and if required publish the announcement on downtime of reporting availability.
- Drop BIA Indices on the required targets.
- Ensure that the total volume of data being compressed in a request doesn’t exceed 1 million.
- Do not compress more than 3 targets simultaneously to ensure no impact on the system.
- Start compressing the cubes from the required targets, in such a way that 1 million records of data are compressed in a single stretch. Thereby, if data set to be compressed is small, in the current bottommost requests then please take the successive next requests from that target. However, pls. ensure that the total volume of data being compressed doesn’t exceed 1 Million.
- Please set the “WITH ZERO ELIMINATION” check box before starting compression and compress only requests before one month.
- Run DB Stats and ensure that the option “Compress after Rollup” in the “Rollup” tab in the Cube Manage screen is unchecked and then start rebuilding the BIA index manually for all the compressed cubes. Make sure the index creation will be completed before the load for that particular info provider starts.
- Inform Business/Functional Analyst and Technical Analyst/Lead on the status post completion of compression task so as to check the data compressed.