I decided to write a little program that catches the SAPCAR output and analyses it.
You can use it as a SAPCAR GUI. I am not a programmer, and I wrote this in very
old environment, just to make sure it will work on most WIN OS-es.
Disclaimer: This is NOT official SAP software and it is NOT bug free.
This is freeware. Use it on your own risk.
– NO installation needed
– You have to download your own SAPCAR.exe and put it in the same folder as scgui.exe
– Displays the archive contents
– Extracts chosen or all files in the archive file folder
– Extracts chosen or all files into specific folder or asks every time (from version 1.1)
– Can register .CAR and .SAR extension to open with double click
– Can open a single CAR/SAR file
– It is easy to upgrade – just put the new SAPCAR.exe in the folder
– if you move the scgui.exe file in other folder you have to register the SAR/CAR extensions again
– if SAR/CAR extensions are registered to other windows program, it is possble that
the “Register..” button will not work. You have to unregister them first (right click / Properties)
– You need administrator rights for “Register..” button (or “Run As administrator” in Windows 7).
– does not display hierarchical structure, just a list of all files and folders
– tested on WinXP 32bit
– tested on Win7 64bit (with both 32 and 64 bit SAPCAR.exe)
– should work on every Win OS as long as your SAPCAR.exe 32/64 works
Feel free to leave comments here. There will be future versions posted here.
Also check how to extract without GUI easily: http://scn.sap.com/blogs/firesword/2012/04/12/easier-way-to-extract-sar-and-car-files-with-sapcar-under-windows
Sorry – no new version yet 🙂
I spoke with SAP Copyright support few months ago. It seems I do not break the rules.
I am allowed to make this program!
Version 1.1 released
– has a file with settings – options.opt (if it does not exist – it creates one)
– 3 choices for exteraction folder in Options/Settings – Always ask, same folder as SAR/CAR file, specific folder
– remembers your choice in the options file