New Visual Identity – Corbu Theme for ESS/MSS
SAP delivered with enhancement pack 5 (Business Suite Innovations 2010) & MSS Add-on 1.0 WD ABAP based Self Services UI. The main focus of this delivery was to improve the end user efficiency, effectiveness and intuitiveness based on new UI guidelines. Additionally we addressed many TCO drivers in terms of offering the solution with much UI configuration possiblities and offering the self services without bundling with SAP Enterprise Portal.
With new offering of ESS/MSS there was still a feedback from customers (and our sales folks) that the new UI should look modern, have new fresh icons, remove too many shades of blue in the screen.. etc. For sure there are theming possiblities that are well known using theme editor in portal environment but there is effort to adjust look of WD ABAP applications to detailed level (some things like icon changes not possible). Due to efforts many customers did not do extensive theming efforts of applications but only adjusted shell areas in portal and branding. There was also additional issues related to upgrade of themes with backend upgrades.
To address this we started with a project jointly between Visual designers, rendering experts, application developerss to provide a new visual identity for ESS/MSS applications (to be followed in other HCM and suite areas later). This new visual identity is called by a theme SAP_CORBU. Corbu derives name from Le Corbusier a Modern Swiss architect and designer . The name also indicates the goals that the new theme should be modern, neutral so that it fits very well with various shells/portals and simple from look and feel perspective.
This new theme is now released for ESS/MSS customers based on enhancement pack 6 (Business Suite Innovations 2011). Theme objects are available from NW 7.31 SP02 with enhancements in SP03. Release information and restriction of usage of this can be found in SAP Note 1681640.
What do you get with this theme?
- A new modern, simple looking theme that improves overall look of Self Services; Increased sizes and fonts improves readability
- Newly adopted NWBC HTML shell that matches new theme for applications
- HCM specific flash islands (including Nakisa Org chart viewer) matched to new theme
- Neutral and better fitments of color scheme when used in non SAP portals like sharepoint
- Large set of new icons and pictograms that are modernized with new theme without affecting existing icons in older themes
- Enhanced look for specific controls example: panel stack
- Possibility to activate the theme per backend system and per application (ignoring portal theme when used in SAP Portal environment)
Is there any impact on custom WD ABAP applications?
- In most cases there are no effort for applications since the new theme works for all WD ABAP applications out of the box. However visual verification of UI is recommended to be performed to check for any truncation of texts or misalignment due to increased font sizes and line height
- If applications have used old icon library ICON_* then new icons will not be loaded. Only icons ~icon/* can be used. Please see note 1681640 for details
Hope you like this theme and we would love to hear how you perceive this new theme as a self service developer and end user for self services.
I have attached some comparison screenshots that I find most intersting to give overview of new look.
Screenshot1: Shows the newly designed NWBC HTML shell and pictograms (rendering the ESS Service map based on PFCG role)
Screenshot2: Shows the newly designed MSS Homepage with team view flash islands themed for Corbu
Screenshot3: Shows the employee profile with new panel stack visualizations and complete new icon set
Screenshot4: Shows the employee leave request with new panel stack visualizations, calendar design