Lesson Learned: How we achieved 300% increase in SOLMAN_WORKCENTER txn Performance.
We have a very huge Monitoring Landscape where 160 Systems are connected to one Central Solution Manager System. As we added more system for System Monitoring and Alert Inbox functionality we noticed a considerable slowdown inSOLMAN_WORKCENTER performance. At one point Transaction SOLMAN_WORKCENTER took nearly 4 minute to excecute !!! With lots of bugging and debugging we identified System Monitoring tab inside SOLMAN_WORKCENTER is the culprit for slow excecution of SOLMAN_WORKCENTER txn code. Now we had task to finetune the System Monitoring tab in workcenter. We achieved this via Setting up a Central Data Cache as suggested in help.sap portal.
I.Create Logon Group
As the central data cache only exists on one application server, you should ensure that you always call the Alert Monitor on this application server. We recommend that you create a logon group that consists of only one application server:
1. Start transaction SMLG (CCMS: Maintain Logon Groups)
2. Create a new logon group by choosing Create Assignment.
3. The Create Assignment screen appears. Enter an appropriate name for the group in the Logon Group field, and the name of the application server on which you want to set up the central data cache in the Instance field.
4. Ensure that the Ext. RFC enabled indicator is activated on the Properties tab page.
5. Save your entries.
II.Activating a Central Data Cache
The activation of the central data cache is performed using the profile parameter alert/cache/size_MB. This parameter is not set by default, meaning that the central data cache is deactivated.
1. Start transaction RZ10 (Edit Profiles).
2. Use the input help for the Profile field to select the instance profile of the application server for which you want to activate the central data cache.
3. Ensure that Extended Maintenance is activated in the Edit Profile group box and choose Change ().
4. The system displays a list with the profile parameters for this instance. Create the parameter alert/cache/size_MB if it is not in the list, and enter the size of the central data cache in megabytes.
5. Save your entries.
6. Restrat your Solution Manager System for parameter to take effect.
Register CCMS Agents with this Application Server
Ensure that the CCMS agents are registered with the logon group that you have intended for monitoring using the Alert Monitor. For information about installing the CCMS agents, see Installing and Registering the CCMS Agents.
With Central data Cache in place we observed 300% increase in the excecution of SOLMAN_WORKCENTER.
DISCLAIMER: Solution mentiond below helped us in achieving solman_workcentr performance and I can not gaurantee that this will increase performance in your landscape. The solution mentioned here can not be genaralised !