What is TDMS?
TDMS: Test Data Migration Server can be used to create non productive systems with reduced transactional data. Usually a productive system is the source system and a QA system is the target system. TDMS is an R/3 addon for ABAP based systems.
We used TDMS 3.0 in several projects for SAP ERP, HCM and CRM based scenarios. TDMS 3.0 supports ERP, HCM, BW and CRM system. Data scrambling is also provided with a standart content for HCM but possible to implement for others with the TDMS tools.
On 16th March 2012, SAP released the TDMS 4.0 for General Availability.
Whats new with TDMS 4.0?
TDMS 4.0 comes with some good features that doesn’t not exists on TDMS 3.0. Here is the brief list:
1. Full Client Transfer
- Client-specific data is transferred without any reduction
- The following data is excluded from transfer:
- Change Documents
- SAP Business Workflow items
- User Data
- Business Workplace
- High performance
- Logical system name assignment in receiver system is included
2. Data Transfer Through Files for SAP ERP
- File transfer is different from standard TDMS packages as it does not require the RFC destinations to all the involved system
- File transfer enhance the flexibility of multiple import of test data without additional load on source system
- File-Based Transfer, separate Data Selection and Data Transfer process by introducing
- An Export Package – Standard TDMS Package without receiver related actions
- An Import Package – Allows a data transfer to selected receiver system
This is important, because TDMS 3.0 allocated %10 of transferred data on the source system and affects the DB size, backup/restore duration, generated archive files and performance during the data transfer.
3. Enhancements for SAP ERP HCM
- E-Recruiting Data (Transfer of internal and external candidates information along with e-recruiting objects like requisition, job posing, application, candidacy, talent group and, support group)
- Processes and Forms (Transfer of HCM processes along with the PDF form content. Scrambling of the form content can be done)
- Selection can be defined in a separate transaction by HR administrators instead of TDMS experts
- Selection can be done based on complex business criteria
- The list of objects and relations obtained from such a selection can be used in multiple transfers
- Standard SAP HCM authorizations are active for selection of objects plus additional authorization checks to control access to transaction.
- Scrambling – 33 countries content
4. Stand-Alone Scrambling
A new feature that enables you to scramble data in a client without data transfer.
- You can define scrambling rules, create content, and reuse standard content for all scrambling needs.
- You can integrate the scrambling rules with any TDMS migration solution.
- Compact process tree.
- Definition and modification of scrambling rules for specific projects and packages
5. SAP TDMS for Industry Solutions
Banking, Oil & Gas, Retail (Store-Based Selection), Utilities
6. SAP Solutions Available with SAP TDMS Classic
In addition to the TDMS 3.0 solutions SCM, SRM also provided iwth 4.0
7. User-Friendly Work Centers
We’ll see the new version with upcoming 3 TDMS projects and we’ll have an upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 in near future.
I’ll share the implementation and upgrade stories later.