The motivation to write this blog came from my past experiences. Earlier when were new to SAP, whenever we were struck we were asked to search on SCN or post a question, someone will help you. Believe me it worked. In the initial 3 years whenever we got struck we went to SCN and found the answer. But I do regrets it that during those three years it never occurred to me even once to start contributing it back 🙁 may be in form of answering questions, writing blogs, e-Learning’s etc.
I will accept that in the initial three years we were selfish that the moment our work is done we don’t about anyone or anything. But one of the incident which changed my approach towards giving it back to community form which we have learnt a lot. It was one of my close friends Dad who asked him one question which goes as “Son you have taken 25 years from this community to stand where you are right now. When will you start giving it back?”
This was the question which changed my approach towards SCN and many other things. It’s been two years and I am trying my level best to be as active as I can. I feel SCN is something like an object which has an entity in this real world not the virtual one 🙂 Contributing it back helps in many ways few I have tried to list down a few.
- When knowledge divides it automatically gets multiplied.
- Sharing your thoughts you get to know whether your understanding is correct or not. (For example in one of my blog I came to know that going forward subroutines and function modules may be obsolete as ABAP is going to be all object oriented.
- By just following various forums or discussions I am able to propose better solutions to client which were struck in similar situation.
- You are up to date with emerging technologies and what is happening in world of SAP
- You get to network with people and eventually end up learning so many things from them.
So the whole idea is start contributing by posting questions, by answering them, writing blogs or may be simply just reading them key thing to remember is Its our community it will grow by leaps and bound if you give start giving back to it, start sharing things. I still regret it would have been different if i would have done it right from start.