Performance Tuning using Report Bursting Indexes Command at Crystal Reports 2008
Business Requirement: – To efficiently improve the performance of high volume data reports at Crystal Reports 2008, by setting the indexes for saved data using Report Bursting Indexes option.
Background:-Setting Indexes at the report level is possible by using Report Bursting Indexes option, this helps in faster search operation on data for high volume reports and thus improves the performance of the report at a great level.
For a report developed at Crystal Reports 2008 which returns a lot of data and uses a record selection formula to filter the data, the Report Bursting Index will help Crystal to create an index on its temp tables. This will in turn speed up the selection process as Crystal won’t need to read each and every record, it will be able to select more rapidly the records that it needs.
1) For a large report with high volume data, save the report with save data option.
2) Re open the report and decide the field on which you want to create the index.
(Take into consideration the below points while deciding the index field for a large high volume Crystal Report)
a) Try to index a field that is more frequently used in the record selection formula.
b) Try not to index all the fields in the report.
c) Don’t index the unique value fields.
3) After you decide the field to be indexed, go to the report menu option at Crystal Reports and click on Report Bursting Indexes.
4) A new window with saved data indexes opens up, at this saved data indexes dialog box select the field that you want to index within the saved data.
5) Click OK, refresh and save the report to create the index immediately.
i) Saved data index created on a particular field, helps the Crystal Report to filter on that field efficiently.
ii) Improves performance in large, high volume reports.