Apologies for the delay in publishing this.
Part2 of this blog we will focus on the changes in the Process layer and the UI layer which are required for master data management, managing the CRUD operations, Data migration from SAP and NON SAP sources, enhanced Data Quality. We will also see how this impacts the MDM consultants working on any MDM programs.
4. Enhancements for Collaborative Master data processes-
Web services Generator based on specific repository structure- CRUD oprations,
Webdynpro configurator- SAP MDM now provides easy development for screen development for regular CRUD and search operations which can be used as either standalone applications or developed as services which can be further consumed in any BPM process.MDM Web Dynpro Components are ready-made granular UI building blocks that are configurable and reusable and reduce the effort needed to create custom applications.
Advantages- Faster build of portal screens. Standardized views.
BPM- The overall process layer build for Central master data management can be now effectively built using BPM. http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/006a16ad-a3ad-2b10-4e9a-af2ee5820848
5. Leveraging Business Objects data services for Data quality capabilities- A series of how to guides are available on Integrating MDM with BODS and how they can be leveraged in different scenarios. Mostly DS is seen as an ETL tool which is used for initial data loads. But with time we now see use of Data Services for online creation/edit of master records, Enrichment of data attributes (especially the Address registry which validates postal address used in Vendor and Customer master). DS can also connect to MDM using DB views for deduplication, customized/configurable tables for maintaining data quality. In our current project we have used DS effectively for all BAU validations, deduplication which takes care of the limitations on Tuple record validations.
6. SAP Master Data Governance vs Enterprise MDM (MDG vs SAP MDM)- SAP Master Data Governance is used for embedded MDM, that is, out-of-the-box, domain-specific master data governance to centrally create, change and distribute master data with a focus on SAP Business Suite. for more details please refer to homepage
SAP Master Data Management (SAP MDM) – EIM – SAP Developer Network provides a complete and comprehensive approach to centrally govern master data processes on top of the Embedded Master Data Management and to manage master data in heterogeneous environments and Enterprise Master Data Management (enterprise MDM):
How does all these affect SAP MDM consultant-
Earlier strengths seeked in MDM consultant were more centric to SAP MDM and related technologies knowledge with greater focus on Data Modeling and Custom UI development/process modeling. Now since the umbrella for enterprise MDM has many new technologies the asking has definitely increased for MDM consultant.
The solution landscape now typically boasts of using BODS, BPM, Webdynpro configurator, WS navigator, MDG and many more recent enhanced tools. As MDM concultant we need to practice below guidelines (the list is not eclusive, would request more discussion from all esteemed MDM gurus in this forum):
1. Data governance tools- We need to now define a Validation Pattern design document which should highlight which technologies are best suited for which types of Validations.
BODS- Should be used for Address cleansing and enrichment and for handling Tuple validations which are not supported in MDM.
UI validations- Mandatory fields, meta data
DB Views- Can be used for reading custom tables in MDM for run time validations/restrictions and also deduplication of records. Benefits are higher performance and more flexibility in defining the matching rules.
ECC BAPIs- can be invoked from Portal at Submit of records
MDM Validations- keep this simple.
2. Proper selection of ETL tool- Use of BO as ETL is the latest trend as this provides powerful features like realtime transform, validations.
3. Workflow tool- BPM, SAP Business workflow, MDM workflow, Customized portal screens and processes. Below SAP- How to guide discusses the diferent tools and which one to select depending parameters like Implementation efforts, Flexibility, Integration, Environments and monitoring.
4. Enterprise MDM Vs MDG- For clients which have a very tight solution based on SAP ECC use of MDG makes more sense.
As said before the list is not complete, we need to carefully examine the different options available for each requirement and take a judicious call. The mantra is not overdoing and keeping the solution simple, to deliver a scalable and maintainable solution.