I have done translations in my last few projects. We have been using SE63 to do the translation. Going with the current trends I think the translator tool provided by SAP needs an upgrade. I think its now quiets an old one and it should be upgraded in the nearby future releases. The point where I am drilling down to is an altogether new tool with easy to do features like update translation from files directly etc.
On a personal front I feel that the new translator tool should have the below mentioned features. Have been thinking about designing it for a long time.
Various features to be accommodated in the new tool
- Simple and yet powerful interface
- Ability to store translations already done for same labels in some other program more or less like a dictionary.
- Ability to get translation using various translation tools automatically such as Google translator.
- Finally an easy straight fwd transport mechanism. We do have SLXT Tcode for the same but I still think the translation should be integrated with the respective programs.
My inputs on the above points
- It can be simple ALV where user should have the upload filed option and based on the translations will be maintained directly.
- It is more less like we have the proposed translations. For example in one of the custom development you have store some translation and based on it system shall propose automatically for other development objects. I think it is available but have not explored it yet.
- This I guess is the most important point which is like making SAP communicates with Google translator or other tools to fetch translation and propose the same. The developer can change them also manually if he/she wants to. I have not begin the search for this points but will start
- I think there should be a simpler way of assigning translation to Transport requests may be like they should get attached to the development transport automatically when we maintain them.
Feel free to add your opinion/features about the same.