We recently had the chance to interview master data management expert Manfred Nielsen about a global master data consolidation and governance project that he drove for a leading manufacturer of medical devices. The goal of the project was to improve master data quality and shorten process lead times for data management processes, e.g. for the creation of new material master data.
As part of this project previously paper-based processes were replaced by a completely automated workflow. The solution was realized using SAP NetWeaver MDM in combination with SAP NetWeaver BPM, Process Integration and BRM (now being offered as one integrated solution called SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration). For example, more than 170.000 validation rules were captured in SAP NetWeaver Business Rules Management (BRM) that are now being provided to end users when they capture new material master data.
View this 10-minute video to hear his responses to the following questions:
- How was master data governance managed before this implementation, and how did it change?
- Who within the organization initiated this project and why?
- How and why did you use business rules as part of this project?
- How was the new automated process perceived by the end users?
- What business value was achieved from this new data governance process?