Using the SAP Solution Manager Maintenance Optimizer is mandatory during maintenance of SAP systems as well as in the enhancement package installation with the software logistics tools like the SAP Enhancement Package Installer (SAPehpi) or Software Update Manager (SUM). While providing a lot of support for administratators, knowledge on the tools and processes involved is very important.
The new Maintenance Planning Guide provides information the following topics:
- SAP Solution Manager version required for SAP Business Suite 2011
- Required add-ons
- Basic configuration of SAP Solution Manager and configuration of Maintenance Optimizer
- Correct maintenance of your system landscape description in SAP Solution Manager, including
- how to add data to your SAP system landscape description in SAP Solution Manager,
- how to model SAP systems in SAP Solution Manager for additional updates, and
- how to check the correctness of your SAP system landscape description with the Landscape Verification tool
- Calculation and download of required software packages with the Maintenance Optimizer (MOPz)
You’ll find the Maintenance Planning Guide using the following link http://service.sap.com/mopz in section How-To’s and Guides:
- A new version of the Maintenance Planning Guide is provided now.
- Also, there is a new guide on Specifics in Installation and Upgrade
The aforementioned prerequisite steps for a successful maintenance mainly comprise steps needed to get to a correct landscape description using System Landscape Directory and Landscape Verification Tool (and in the SAP Solution Manager 7.1 the newly created LMDB) plus SAP’s landscape model. Information on these is gathered in the SDN under Landscape Descriptions.