Dynamic Data Highlight of Fields at Crystal Reports 2008
- For an Employee Data Report which has 3 fields to display namely i) Employee Name ii) Technology & iii) Experience in Months,the requirement is to dynamic highlight Employee Name Data Field depending on the Technology field value BusinessObjects received from the custom input parameter created at Crystal Reports 2008.
To achieve the Dynamic Data Highlight at Crystal Reports 2008 for the above requirement we would be required to follow the below steps.
1) Create a report (i.e. Report 1) and place all the 3 data fields (Employee Name, Technology and Experience in Months.) at the detail section of the report as shown in the below screen shot.
2) Go to the Parameter Fields option at the Field Explorer and create a new static Parameter by name Technology of type string as shown in the below screen shot.
3) Now from the Select Expert menu at the Crystal Reports 2008 set the filter criteria as below:-
Data Base field Technology = Parameter Field Technology. (As shown in the below screen shot).
4) At the detail section of the report right click on the Employee Field and select the Highlight Expert from the list of options as shown in the below screen shot.
5) Once we select the Highlight Expert option, a new window for Highlighting Expert Opens up. Click on the new Tab from the left side panel of the Highlighting Expert to create a new Highlight expert condition.
6) Set the condition from the Right side panel Item Editor option of the Highlighting Expert as below.
Value of the Parameter Field Technology = BusinessObjects.
Now, set the custom formatting for the Highlight Data Field Employee Name as shown in the below Screen Shot.
7) Finally click on the Ok button and refresh the report.
8) When we run or refresh the report, a user prompt will appear asking for the input Technology field against which the report needs to be run.
9) For the above requirement, there can be below 2 possible values which can be passed as the input parameter value for the Technology Prompt.
The report will be filtered with Employee Data corresponding to Technology Field Crystal with out the Data Highlight for the Employee Field as shown in the below screen shot.
The report will be filtered with Employee Data corresponding to Technology Field BusinessObjects with the custom dynamic highlight appearing for the Employee Field data as shown in the below screen shot.