“Sometimes, you would need to collect a variant of an ABAP program and transport across systems (D/Q/P).”
You wish to have an automatic ticketing mechanism in which each process chain failure will generate a ticket ( in our case it’s Remedy) and thus the efforts are tracked. So in each of your process chain’s you want to check the failure(s) and intimate to the Firefighting team.
To achieve this you have setup a custom program step (in all chains) to generate a message with complete details of failure and you would want this program to get executed with a predefined variant across all boxes (DEV/QAS/PRD).
For this to happen, you may want to transport the variant along with the program step. Variants are not automatically collected in transports as we build them, nor when we drag a process chain into transport manager (even when using the before and after setting).
Here are the steps you need to follow to add a variant (note there is a different process to add the variant and the program and each needs to be added separately).
Note: Below given is a predefined program that sends the message to ITO team, I have made use of this program in our process chains.
This program is used to create Incident tickets for Firefighting team.
The Step by Step Solution
- Open the process chain in editable mode.
- Double click the Program step that contains the Variant.
- In this case we are double clicking on Program – “Inform ITO…”
- Click on the change icon to the right of Program Variant (as shown below)
- Here you select Utilities from the menu bar at the top, then select Transport Request.
- Click the Execute (clock) icon. This brings up a list of variants for you to Transport.
- Check the box next to the variant you need to transport and click Continue.
- You will be prompted for a transport. Click the paper icon for ‘Create Request’. Then you can create a new transport for the variant.
Once this is done, the Process step (not the actual program) along with the required variants is collected into your transport request.
- Next, you need to collect the Program. From within the Process Maintenance: ABAP Program screen you now go to the Menu bar and select Variant Menu–> Transport and then it will bring you to Transport Connection. The same is shown in below snap.
- Now the tranport dialogue box will appear and you can add this program to the same Transport Request which we had used earlier to collect the variant.