Skip to Content

<p><div>This is a short tech note on a top notch Mobile Device Management solution and industry leader SAP Sybase Afaria.</div><div></div><div>Environment Information: SAP Sybase Afaria 6.6FP1 Hot Fix 4</div><div>Database: Oracle 11g</div><div>Afaria Server installed in corporate intranet Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1</div><div>Relay Server in DMZ running Windows 2008 Standard</div><p>This blog is regarding an error that took us several hours to find the root cause and here is the various methodologies used along with the concluded solution.</p><p>Description on the error:</p><p>We were trying to deploy an enterprise application using Afaria and we could see that the application was successfully listed in the Afaria client application but it wouldn’t install properly.</p><div>The message that we were getting was “Unable to download <application_name>”.</div><div></div><div>Some background along with various methods used to solve this issue:</div><div></div><div>1) We tried couple other devices with the same procedure, a pool of two iPads and one iPhone</div><div>2) The application that we were trying to deploy and install was an iPhone based application, although we were able to install it on both the iPads but not the iPhone.</div><div>3) The developer of the application was part of the error resolution team.</div><div>4) The application was deployed successfully using Afaria server and we were able to see it in Afaria client application –> under the App tab, next to Home tab.</div><div>5) All the time Verification Complete message was constant, so connectivity was not an issue.</div><div>6) We tried adding and removing Provisioning profile to this application –> This didn’t work</div><div>7) We tried making this application as “Required” and then checking off that box –> This didn’t work</div><div></div><div>Upon in-depth R&D of many sorts as well as researching Knowledge Base, we tapped into iPhone Configuration Utility and turned on Debugging into the phone.</div><div>We performed the same steps with device connected with IPCU (iPhone Config Utility) and saw that the application couldn’t be installed because of incompatible OS.</div><div></div><div>Upon further research we found two important pieces of information:</div><div>1) The OS of that particular iOS device (it was an iPhone) was 4.2; and</div><div>2) The application we were trying to deploy/install using Afaria had some features designed specific to iOS 4.3</div><div></div><div>Well, understandably the root cause and solution, both were clear after that. We needed to upgrade the OS on the iPhone and the application was installed straight forward without any issue.</div><div></div></p>

To report this post you need to login first.

Be the first to leave a comment

You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.

Leave a Reply