Sometimes on SDN it is fun to discuss with fellow members our wish list for SAP improvements. After a number of years of working with Solution Manager, and countless Solution Manager upgrades, things have definitely gotten better. However, things have also gotten more complicated.
On-Demand solutions are one of the most exciting trends in IT. There are some clear benefits for on-demand such as quick deployment, no capital expenses and reduced operational responsibilities.
SAP has finally started to catch on to this trend by offering a handful of products on-demand for the large enterprise (I’m not including SMB products like ByDesign):
- Business Objects BI
- Carbon Impact
- Travel (coming soon)
- Career (coming soon)
My clients have always had mixed reactions to Solution Manager. Primarily that they are forced to use it. While the business case for the functionality is fundamentally positive, it comes at a high cost. SAP is expensive and complicated to install, configure, and maintain. When customers want to upgrade ECC, first they have to upgrade Solution Manager. When they want to apply a simple patch, first they have to approve this request through Solution Manager. It slows everything down.
Now what if Solution Manager were on-demand?
- Always up-to-date. We would never have to start our ECC upgrade with a SolMan upgrade.
- Reduced infrastructure. The system takes a lot of resources, though processes very few transactions relative to other systems.
- Newest content. Sub-components like the SLD could have the newest content, eliminating steps to constantly update.
- SAP would have access to the system landscape and monitoring components for even simpler troubleshooting.
- Non-critical to business operations.
- Minimal interface bandwidth.
- No sensitive data.