I’m very excited about this year’s InnoJam. The organizers have been able to arrange an interesting set of new and exciting tools and apps for us to work with. During last year’s session, River’s cloud based deployment and rapid development paradigm performed extremely well in multiple projects.
The SAP Business ByDesign Toolset
This year, among the tools we get to work with is the SAP Business ByDesign platform as a service (PaaS) offering, known as the SAP Business ByDesign Studio. The Studio is similar to River in that its fast to setup and deploy, and enables rapid development of cloud applications with fairly minimal coding.
But that’s where the similarity ends.
ByDesign Studio is designed for creating cloud apps that add onto SAP Business ByDesign, the ERP software as a service (SaaS) solution, as well as enable one-off customization of a customer’s tenant. It’s a full PaaS solution that handles development, deployment, sales, and ongoing maintenance and compatibility.
Some of the things we will be using the ByDesign Studio at InnoJam for include:
- Defining business objects, including extending core objects from the ByDesign application
- Scripting business logic in business object event handler functions
- UI development for web access and mobile devices (supports iOS, BlackBerry, and Windows 7 Mobile – basically we’ll use iPad for InnoJam purposes)
- Integrating into business processes within the ByDesign app
- Defining custom analytics and reporting
- Defining or consuming Web services
- Inserting configuration of our app into the core ByDesign configuration process
Why you should consider the ByDesign Studio
In a nutshell, the ByDesign Studio gives you a rapid development, cloud based environment, and simplified integration into a cloud-based ERP solution. So you can get started quickly, and see results soon – fast enough for an overnight programming competition. And, you get the API of a full ERP solution to develop against.
Finally, we are blessed to have technical assistance from a couple of the instructors of the ByDesign Studio hands on sessions here at TechEd. So, you can’t lose. You’ll learn what it takes to build a ByDesign app on the SAP Store, and you got a robust toolset to use for trying to win InnoJam.
Sounds great you say? Need an idea for using ByDesign? Check out my suggestion on the InnoJam Ideaplace session for adding gamification to SAP Business ByDesign.