Horizontal Representation of Data -Format With Multiple Columns (Crystal Reports -2008)
1) To have the Horizontal Display of the data at Crystal Report Detail Section.
2) To achieve the dynamic creation of columns at the Detail Section of the Report.
Description: – By default, the Data Field value placed at the detail section appears as vertical.
In a business scenario, if we want to have the data field values placed at Detail Section to appear horizontally, then we would be required to do the below course of actions
1) Place the Data Field at the Detail Section.
2) Go to Section Expert and select the Detail Section.
3) Choose Format with Multiple Columns from the list of options available at the Common Tab.
4) Once we complete step 3, we see an additional Tab (i.e. – LAYOUT), been generated at the section expert for Detail Section, other than the 3 default Tabs (Common, Paging, Color).
5) Go to the newly generated LAYOUT TAB and set the below properties
Note :- The property to be set below depends on the Database Fields which need to be displayed at the Detail Section of the Report (Can be customized as per requirement).Try to set the width as minimum as possible for large set of data.
A) Detail Size
Width – Set the Width to a minimum value as per business requirement (Let us say as 1)
Here the width size will be the width of the detail section holding an individual Data Field value.
Height – It will be set to 0 by default (Shall be non –editable)
B) Gap Between Details
Horizontal-Set the Horizontal size to a minimum value let us say 1.
(Here the Horizontal value set will act as the GAP size between the 2 adjacent individual Data Field values placed at the Detail Section).
Vertical- Set the vertical value to 0.
(The value can be customized as per requirement- The vertical value set will act as the vertical GAP size between the 2 Data Field values placed at the Detail section)
C) Printing Direction
This option will have two Radio Buttons:-
I) Across then Down: – The selection of this option will display the data horizontally and then vertically with in the boundaries of above set Detail Size and GAP Size.
II) Down then Across: – The selection of this option will display the data vertically and then horizontally with in the boundaries of above set Detail Size and GAP Size.
We would be required to set the first radio button with, Across then Down option as active, to achieve the dynamic generation/display of columns at the Detail Section.
Finally click on the OK Tab and Preview the Report.
We would be able to see the Data Field value placed at the Detail Section to appear as horizontally within the defined size boundaries of the Detail Section.
1) The Format with Multiple Columns option is only available for Detail Section at the Section Expert.
2) To have the Group Section Data appear horizontally, in accordance with the Detail Section Data, we would be required to check on the Format Groups with Multiple Columns checkbox options available at the Layout Tab of the Detail section.