Creating Smaller Spool Files with Images
If you create a spool file which has many pages and contains a graphic on every page (eg. company logo or background graphic), then spool file can be excessively large.
You can check the size of the spool file in SP01:
- Double-click on the spool number
- Go to tab Temse Attributes
- see “Size in bytes”
This is because in transaction SE78, for the graphic contained in the spool, the setting ‘Resides in printer Memory’ is not set. If the flag ‘Resides in Printer Memory’ is set, then the graphic will only be sent once to the printer instead of for each page. (note that for large PDFs, there maybe other possible causes as outlined in note 843480 “PDF conversion: Compression of bitmaps and TrueType fonts”).
To resolve this issue you should set the flag ‘Resides in Printer Memory’ as follows:
- Go to transaction SE78.
- For the graphic that is contained in the problem spool, set the flag ‘Resides in Printer Memory’.
- Now the graphic will only be sent once to the printer instead of for each page, and the spool file size is reduced.
- For large PDF files, you should also check the following SAP note for other possible causes: # 843480 – PDF conversion: Compression of bitmaps and TrueType fonts
Your spool file will now be greatly reduced in size, as the image is sent to the printer only a single time instead of for each page.