It’s all started with Enhancing a LO data source in ECC to fix a problem, I have to perform a Full reload to populate the historical data for the enhanced fields , as every other Bi consultant I found myself got stuck with challenge on How to Avoid Downtime ?.
I thought what would be the Risk of filling the setup table and loading the full repair without disturbing the existing Delta Mechanism and answer is Data Duplicating in BW.
Why Data Duplication Happens?
When a new posting happens it will be transferred to setup table (filling setup table without any selections and user are allowed posting during the filling) as well as to the delta Q, I.e. when the data is moved to BW from delta Q and via setup table we will have duplicates in BW.
I examined my data source delta mechanism in Lo cockpit and realized that it is a “Queued Delta”
Next thing I have to do is to avoid duplicates I should have a DSO with all key figures set to overwrite Update, here come handy with a staging DSO taking care of all the duplicates and making my life happy again.
I filled the setup tables and reloaded the Full repairs for populating the historical data for enhanced Fields without Downtime and without disturbing the delta mechanism.
Below are the steps
- Data source with “Queued Delta” mechanism.
- DSO with overwriting capability for all Key figures.
- Drain out the delta from RSA7 from ECC to BW using delta Info Package, to avoid warning while filling setup tables.
- Fill the set up tables with the Historical Data.
- Load the repair full info package to fetch the data from ECC to BW (PSA).
- Run the DTP to load the data from PSA to stating DSO (which takes care of the duplicates).
- Move data from DSO to further targets.
Note: while loading the full repairs make sure you are starting the delta only after successful completion of full repair.