Skip to Content
Author's profile photo Chris Kernaghan

Data analysis of CUUC outcomes of TC1 (CUUC Series part 5)

As regular readers will know, my team and I have completed The 1st Trial Cutover (CUUC Series part 4) and we collected a vast amount of data. We also  blew our time budget of 60 hours out of 96 hours total downtime, but we  recorded the areas where the overruns occurred, so now I will take you  through the analysis of what we found and what mitigations we put in  place.

As a veteran of these type of projects, I have done this  analysis many times, and I find that it is better to structure my  thinking into Constants and Variables – for example

Variables: things we can change – for example, the number of work processes

Constants: things we cannot change – for exmaple, the time a backup takes

During  the Upgrade and Unicode processes data is flowing through the system at  phenominal rates, it is important to benchmark these data  operations/flows to provide performance analysis – thank fully most of  this work is done for you and it is simply a case of working out how to  use this data to give you the best analysis and edge for your CUUC  process.

We have seen that the Upgrade provides a file called  UPGANA, which gives a high level breakdown of the Upgrade phases and  their timings. The next important data set to be analysed is the Unicode  conversion – the Unicode conversion, like the Upgrade, writes a great  many log files which can become quickly bewildering, the important thing  is to start at the top and work your way down. In order to do this, you  start with the Export_time.txt and the Import_time.txt, these files  provide you with your package performance details, like Operation  duration, Size, Data Throughput.

The  table above shows how specific packages performed during the Unicode  export and the time period they were executed in. This can be very  important, as the Unicode process should be viewed as a holistic process  – everything running on the system/servers has the ability to affect  other things. So keep an eye on things like R3load processes accessing  the same cluster table at the same time and causing performance issues.  The text file is also represented as an HTML file with nice graphics,  which if you are inclined you can merge together to give a graphical  representation of what packages run when and for how long – I was not so  inclinded and did not. These files and their contents are also provided for the Import processes.

So  now that we know where to find the information and the formats that  information takes, let’s dive in and see what variables exist which can be  used to affect change in the Upgrade and Unicode performance as shown in the previous post (The 1st Trial Cutover (CUUC Series part 4))

From  the table and the details above you can see the variables we can affect  and the places where we can find some of the data which will influence  how we change the variables. There is a wealth of deep dive analysis we  could do, like running performance traces which will highlight the CPU,  Memory, Disk I/O at every second throughout these processes – Jim Spath’s excellent Unicode blog series shows the type of deep dives you can do into data sets. Personally I am  not a massive fan of doing this, unless I really have to, I find that  the analysis can become a goal in itself and distract from the overall  goal of getting the thing done!

Assigned Tags

      Be the first to leave a comment
      You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.