As per our realization it is essential for any business architecture exercise to
a>Identify the key business function within the scope at the architecture and classify those functions into organisation units within the business – Structured Analysis.
b>Perform the breakdown of business functions across actors and organisation allowing the actors in a fuction to be identified and permits a breakdown into service supporting/delivery of functional capibility – Use Case Analysis.
c>Perform the breakdown of a function or business service through process model allows the elements of the process to be identified and permits the identification of lower business level business services or functions-Process Modelling.
d>To identify required service granularity level , boundaries and contract functions .Business services are specific functions that have explicit ,defined boundaries that are explicitly governed.A service Contract covers the business(functional interface and also the technology /data interface) .Business Architecture will define the service contract at the Business/Function Level.
Lets also see the objectives at generic level before taking up Order & Buy in detail with Business Architecture perspective.
- Describing the Baseline Business Architecture .
- To develop a Target Business Architecture, describing functional and information aspects of the business environment, based on the business principles, business goals and business drivers .
- To analyze the gaps between the Baseline and Target Business Architectures .
- To select the relevant architecture viewpoints that will enable the architect to demonstrate how the stakeholder concerns are addressed in the Business Architecture .
- To select the relevant tools and techniques to be used in association with the selected viewpoints .
In the context of Order and Buy system i am just concentrating on Motor and Home Insurance business capaibility we derived
AS-IS state of Business Architecture:
- Currently the Enterprise does not have the capability to develop the new consolidated Order & Buy systems.
- The existing infrastructure operations team has the capability to provide the Enterprise infrastructure required for this architecture work.
- Limited capability in e-commerce .
- Business capability assessment.
- Existing Order & Buy systems perform the following main functionalities– Allow a customer to state his needs ,Choose a suitable product,Have interactive session and get a suitable quote and finally purchase the policy.
- The current call-center supports the huge customer base for all products.
- All the Order & Buy systems have similar functionality but are on various platforms need to improve this and load the current system with more functionality.
- Call-Centre usage is more with most customers relying on call-centre to satisfy their related needs once a policy has been purchased.
Business Service GAP Analysis
TO-BE state of Business Architecture
- Future state aspiration for performance of each level of capability
- Bring all Order & Buy systems onto same platform to achieve optimization in all areas including cost, user-experience, implementing changes in terms of products or regulatory features etc.
- Minimize dependency on call-center for features that can be migrated to the Order & Buy systems thereby reducing operational cost of maintaining a huge call-center
- Business case and changes required
- New Order & Buy system to be developed to support all products.
- A single platform to be developed to support the online application.
- he new online system to be heavily loaded with features that are currently supported by the call-center applications.
- ·Value proposition Customer Experience – Better user-experience due to enhanced features increasing customer-satisfaction,Call-Center Manager – Reduction in Call-center OPEX costs and reduced attrition rates due to a more realistic load,Assess and define procurement requirement.
- Enlist the use of a s/w service provider – Need to roll-out RFPs for the same
- nternal Infrastructure team to cater to the infrastructure needs of this new business proposition
- Dedicated Business Analyst and customer experience to be closely involved throughout the Architecture work lifecycle
- Assess Business risk-the new order & Buy system not performing in a reliable manner due to new platform.A significant change to the current online system may increase end-customer discomfort initially thereby existing customers still turning to call-center for the other features will still result in high call-center usage
Moving on to Next Blog