Often I see consultants are worried that experience on which phase of the project life cycle will be more valuable in future .Whether there will be more demand for consultants who has experience in implementation project or testing and/or support assignments.
Personally, I see demand for everyone in coming days and there is no dearth of any specific genre of projects. Few people believes that as all the big organizations have already implemented ERP there will be scarcity of implementation projects in future and only support projects will have majority share. I don’t think that will be the exact scenario and the reason I beg to differ from it are as follows
- Entrepreneurs & new companies: Every day new companies are coming into existence with all new intuitive business models. These companies will grow in future and will need IT solutions to operate efficiently. So, always there will be projects involving implementation of new applications in these organizations.
- SAP By Design & Business One – There are millions of Small and Medium scale Enterprises (SME) operating on non-integrated IT solutions. SAP’s fantastic offerings, By Design and Business One, provide SME an opportunity to leverage SAP’s potential. Implementations in these small and medium scale companies have just started to accelerate and there will be huge number of assignments in this area.
- Merger & Acquisitions: As the time passes, economy becomes more mature and survival of the fittest becomes more and more pertinent. In such a scenario there will mergers and acquisitions which will trigger re-implementation and convergence projects.
- Changing Business Processes – Globalization has enforced the organizations to develop ground breaking business models and smart processes. Companies need to evolve there processes to maintain there position in market. In such a case implementation based on five year old business processes may not be relevant with time. Hence, companies will have to fathom the delta change and re-implement there applications in case of major change in business models/processes .
- Testing assignments coupled with Implementation – Testing and implementation are inseparable. With every implementation project there are rounds of unit, integration and user acceptance testing phase. With good flow of implementation project I don’t see any scarcity of testing assignments.
Disclaimer : The views mentioned are my own and does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer