Mr Eugene Lewis Fordsworthe initially said assumption is the mother of all mistakes. He later said his earlier philosophy that assumption is the mother of all mistakes was flawed, and he recognized that sometimes good comes from assumptions. He said that sometimes when there is not enough information, a person must make assumptions to continue progress. He was later quoted as saying “I am in a bit of a paradox, for I have assumed that there is no good in assuming.”
If there is not enough information but an objective needs to be met quickly, then making an assumption is a good thing. Some would call that situation as “the glass is half-full”.
Recently I worked on a project to “Upgrade, Convert to Unicode and Split Dual Stack” NetWeaver 7.0 BW system from Support Pack Stack 16 to EhP1 SP 07.
I had less than 3.5 months to complete the project. The landscape had Production like Sandbox, Dev, Production like QA and Production system. The DB size was 1.2TB.
During that 3 months, I made several assumptions. Listed below are a few of notable assumptions:
Assumption 1: Upgrade
I spent a few days reading and downloading materials listed in the Upgrade section of Service Marketplace. I realized-two or three days later-our intended “from-to” support pack level was not treated as Upgrade by SAP. See this screenshot:(From Upgrade Guide SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Application Server ABAP including Enhancement Package 1 Support Release 1)
Assumption 2: Installation of EhP on an existing system is considered upgrade
See the screenshot below. That screenshot shows a few lines found in SAPehpi log. The log states SAPehpi started in UPGRADE mode. I’m not sure if that is semantically correct. Installation in UPGRADE mode? Confusing.
Assumption 3: SAPup and SAPehpi are not different
When I noticed “This is UNICODE SAPehpi”, I was confused because the BW system to be upgraded was not Unicode. I was trying to find more information in service marketplace on non-unicode version of SAPehpi. I ran into this(See below) comment of note: 1146578. Since I lost a few days already due to assumption (1), I didn’t pay close attention. As a result, I thought I was using correct version of SAPehpi. I missed to see the subtle difference between SAPehpi and SAPup. So I continued with “SAPehpi started in UPGRADE mode”.
The project was technically completed in less than 3.5 months.
Had I not made assumptions, I believe I wouldn’t have made progress and completed the project in time.
Currently I’m revisiting my notes to share a strong story in TechEd 2011. And it feels like “A cow chewing her cud”. (Courtesy: http://www.youtube.com for the video below).