Cloud Computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices on demand, like the electricity grid. The term “cloud” is used as a metaphor for the Internet .Cloud computing describes a new supplement, consumption, and delivery model for IT services based on the Internet, and it typically involves over-the-Internet provision of dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources
Device and location independent
Cost based on usage
Streamline business processes without incurring significant IT capital costs
Minimal CapEx expenditure on Hardware
Flavors of Cloud
Public / Community Cloud – Several organizations have similar requirements and seek to share infrastructure so as to realize some of the benefits of cloud computing with cost spread over several tenants.
Hybrid Cloud – This is a software deployment model that combines on-premise software with on-demand SaaS.
Private cloud – Cloud which is only available for use for one internal customer / tenant. It delivers some benefits of cloud computing as the organization still need to build and manage the systems but realizes better data security & corporate governance.
On Demand Solution – SAP ByDesign
SAP Business By Design is a full-fledged SaaS offering targeting the small & medium business sectors. This solution helps enhance growth, productivity, and collaboration and provides lower, more predictable IT costs. SAP experts fully manage, monitor, and maintain the solution in hosted data centers worldwide, freeing you to focus on growing your business.
It covers the following modules:
- Customer Relationship Management: This module helps companies to get comprehensive, flexible support for Customer Relationship Management processes that span marketing, sales and service activities, speed sales cycles, bring in revenue faster and control costs.
- Financial Management: This module helps companies with a single, up-to-date view of financial condition by integrating core business processes and financials that span Financial and Management Accounting and Cash Flow Management.
- Supply Chain Management: This module builds an efficient supply chain network covering Supply Chain Setup Management, Supply Chain Planning and Control, Manufacturing Warehousing and Logistics helping companies respond quickly to changing markets.
- Project Management: This module improves project efficiency and transparency with integrated project management in the solution.
- Supplier Relationship Management: This module helps companies strengthen relationships with suppliers, improve procurement processes to reduce costs, turn suppliers into a competitive advantage, perform self-service procurement and streamline operations.
- Human Resources Management: This module spans Organizational Management, Human resources, Employee self-service ensuring efficient and effective HR operations and maximizing the potential of employees in an organization including workloads, personnel, payroll and timesheets.
- Executive Management Support: This module empowers management with more control over the business and better decision making. With customized real time analytics allow managers to accurately track the most important aspects of business.
- Compliance Management: This module helps companies maintain compliance with changing laws and regulations and to meet regulatory standards.
- Fully hosted SaaS(Software as Service) enterprise application.
- Comprehensive bundled offering with financial management, HR, CRM, SCM, SRM, project management, compliance management and executive management support that looks to provide role-based functionality instead of just point applications
- A dedicated website with free trials to customers
- A solution targeted at both business and technology users
- Priced at US$149 per user a month with a minimum of 25 users, an extention to the base modules is available including manufacturing and warehouse management starting at US$34 per month.
- A scaled-back offering of US$54 per user a month is offered for five users, but it excludes an overwhelming majority of applications and features.