In this blog we are going to see one of the common Issues in Business Objects deployment i.e. Stale sessions which catch up the concurrent user licenses. Let’s have a look on the issue briefly.
Concurrent users are being shown as logged in multiple times and their sessions are not being cleared even when they are not using the Business Objects Applications. As a result concurrent user licenses are getting used up very quickly causing other concurrent users facing login Issues due to unavailability of concurrent user licenses (i.e.) All the concurrent licenses are utilized.
Impact – What are the effects/symptoms of the issue?
Concurrent Users of the system will be facing logon Issues due to unavailability of the concurrent licenses.
- Effective utilization of existing Business Objects Licensing
- Useful for re-sizing of Business Objects deployment.
Solution Approach for resolution
1. Always ensure that Session Cleanup Listener and Logon token parameters are configured properly in respective business objects applications.
Open web.xml under <BO Installdir>\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\InfoViewApp\WEB-INF
And make sure that the below configuration has been made (in BO 3.x).
- Session Cleanup Listener is active/uncommented.
This will ensure the automatic session cleanup is enabled
- Logon token is set to disabled.
Changing the true to false does not allow the token to re-login from stale sessions
This above is for Infoview application. If you want to implement the same for
other 3-tier applications like CMC, Xcelcius and AdminTools,you have to modify the
web.xml for each application directory within Business Objects Installation directory.
2. 2. Implement a SDK utility which periodically monitors and cleans up the stale sessions
which consumes the concurrent user license.
Hope the blog could be useful for User and Session management for Business Objects Administrators.
Thanks for reading.