Our Portal account on Twitter (http://twitter.com/PORTAL_SAP) is now almost one year old and we could win many interested followers in the last months. Now it is time for a short summary. In this blog I would like to give you some information on the Portal twitter account and tell you about the advantages I see in using Twitter as a product rollout channel.
When you follow the Portal Twitter channel you will always get the latest news of the area of SAP NetWeaver Portal. As a follower you are in contact with a SAP NetWeaver Portal community which is an official SAP Twitter account and managed by team members of the SAP Product Management of Portal and Enterprise Workspaces. You are in the “centre of gravity”!
In our team I am the person who is mainly organizing and managing the Portal Twitter channel:
Why am I active on Twitter and why do I use it as a communication channel for our product?
The use of Twitter has many advantages for product rollout, for example:
- We create awareness for our product in the social media world and rollout our product information directly to an interested audience (=the followers).
- We create connections and engage with our customers, partners and also colleagues: we connect directly with our followers and we can also get their direct response and feedback.
- Twitter spreads news faster than other sources: when there is new information I can spread it among our followers within seconds.
- It is not much effort: you only have 140 signs per tweet….
- Twitter can also work well as an opinion poll – you can ask for feedback and ask questions.
- I am informed about the activities of other people (our partners, Portal consultants, other SAP applications etc.). I follow their Twitter accounts and this keeps me up-to-date on what they are doing – that is really a great thing.
There are also advantages for the people who decide to follow our Twitter channel:
- They have the chance to get in direct contact with experts from the SAP Portal Product Management – they get information directly from the source.
- They have also the chance to talk to that experts and to get their answers. It is not a big effort and it is cheap – you only need to have access to Twitter.
- As soon as there is a new information – it is on Twitter. People have the chance to get information very soon – it gives instant access to what is going on.
- Twitter directs people’s attention to the important things in our area.
What kind of information can be found in our Twitter channel?
These are the topics I tweet about most of the time:
- Information on new releases and new features (for example: information on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 and Enterprise Workspaces)
- Product announcements and news
- Information on planned workshops, webinars, customer and partner events
- Content on our activities at events (SAPPHIRE, TechEd)
- Information on our SCN activities (links to new SCN presentations, blogs and demos etc.)
- News of our YouTube channel in case we have uploaded new movies
- Links to Portal stories/articles in newspapers and journals
- Links to customer stories
- Information on our partner activities
- Links to interesting SCN Portal forum discussions
- General information of what is going on around SAP NetWeaver Portal and SAP
I also create tweets that are questions. I ask for example our followers if they plan to upgrade to SAP NetWeaver 7.3 or if the they like the new Portal features.
I also use content created by other people – this means retweeting or republishing someone else’s tweet, and at the same time I also acknowledge other people’s good stuff.
In case you do not know the Twitter Portal channel: Follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/PORTAL_SAP) and you will always be up to speed – like never before.