Red X instead of Images/Logos/Graphs in Crystal Reports
Recently I was designing the new report in CRVS2010 with graphs & images; I encountered the issue where I could see the Red X on crystal reports instead of images & graphs.
I checked the Web.Config for the correct versions of assemblies. I also checked the references added in my project but never found the reason. So I decided to search the forum post & developer’s guide for the same.
While checking few forum posts I came to know about the mistakes & the ways to rectify it. I also learnt that Crystal Reports .NET SDK makes use of httpHandler to manage images/logos/graphs in a report. This setting configures the ASP.NET worker process to redirect requests made to CrystalImageHandler.aspx to an internal only image handler class (CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHanlder). If we do not have the CrystalImageHandler setting in Web.Config file, the images on reports will not display.
Note: There is no physical file called CrystalImageHandler.aspx.
In the custom website ‘crystalreportviewers’ folder is not set to application. In this scenario ‘crystalreportviewers’ virtual directory will not be able to run CrystalImageHnadler.aspx. So go to the IIS, expand the custom website & change the Virtual Directory for ‘crystalreportviewers’ into an Application.
Additional Resources (SAP Knowledge Base Articles):
- 1205083 – Red X appears instead of images or charts in a Crystal report when viewing in ASP.NET 2.0.
- 1216305 – Image appears as red ‘X’ when viewing a report using VS .NET web application.
- 1217072 – Graph appears as a red ‘X’ on a report run through a VS .NET application.
- 1218764 – Red ‘X’ appears in place of images when .NET application displays report.
- 1427747 – Why does a CR .NET SDK web app have problems running on IIS 7 in integrated pipeline mode?
- 1525004 – Red X is displayed in place of an image or logo in a Crystal Report viewed in a web browser.
- 1547124 – CRVS2010 – Red X displayed in report instead of dynamic images.