Overview of BW tables per object type
How many times have you seen a BW table, with its typical lenght and slashs, and you have not been able to identify which object represents? It looks difficult, but it isn’t at all.
This is a short blog, for BW starters, and especially for any other consultant that, at any moment, need to know what represents a specific BW table.
It is easier than expected.
The beginning is common for all the tables, just a little difference between 0 and C.
Once you ignore this, you have just to focus in a letter. Knowing which represents this letter, you are a BW expert!
In the following lines I will show the difference between 0 and C, and possible letters that you will find.
Hope it is useful for you.
For all BW objects this is the general naming convention:
* /BI0/Lxxx* – Standard
/BIC/Lxxx – Customer defined
+ L+ – is the letter that will help us to distinguish quickly which kind of object is involved
+ xxx+ –is the name of the object. But it is important to know that:
- If object is a NON standard object then name will be just xxx
Now, let’s see how we can do the differentiation just based in the first letter after the /BI/</p><p> </p><p>DSO* (Datastore Object)
/BI/A<ODS_name>00</p></td></tr><tr><td><p>Activation queue </p></td><td><p> /BI/A /BI/B<number></p></td></tr></tbody></table><p> *
PSA (Temporary staging area) /BI/B<number> </p><p>+ Note: Technically Change log are PSA are the same</p><p> + </p><p>INFOCUBE</p><table border=”1″ cellpadding=”0″><tbody><tr><td><p>F-fact table (partitioned by request_ID) </p></td><td><p> /BI/F /BI/E<cube_name></p></td></tr><tr><td><p>D-dimension tables</p></td><td><p> /BI/D* In dimension tables L* is a character that represents each dimension. Possible values for L are:
- P is the package dimension of a content cube
- U is the unit dimension of a content cube
- T is the time dimension of a content cube
- I is the user defined dimension of a content cube
* </p><p>AGGREGATES* (partitioned as the cube!)
|F-fact table (partitioned by request_ID)|
/BI/F<aggr_number></p></td></tr><tr><td><p> E-fact table (partitioned by Year/Month etc.)</p></td><td><p> /BI/E<aggr_number>
* </p><p>TEMPORARY TABLES*
/BI0/0<<strong>number> or /BI0/0D or /BI0/0P Please read these notes for further descriptions: 1139396 and 449891
* </p><p>INFOOBJECTS</p><p>/BI/P/BI/Q<INFOOBJECTNAME> Stores Values of Time Dependent Atrtibutes </p><p>/BI/T/BI/X<INFOOBECTNAME> Stores the SID Values for Time Independent Navigation Attributes </p><p>/BI/Y/BI/S<INFOOBJECTNAME> Stores the SID Values for Characteristic Key Values found in the P, Q or T table </p><p>/BI/M/BIC/H”infoobjectname” – Hierarchy data of an infoobject