Calling All Bloggers – NOW is Your Chance
As you, the community member, represent the most important element in this equation, the SCN team would like to hear what you want. We have, therefore, decided to solicit your ideas, suggestions, and feedback via Idea Place. In particular, we are looking for your ideas on value proposition, information architecture, capabilities and limitations, and quality and governance. If you think you have an answer or even a partial answer to these challenges, please submit your ideas and comments to one of the following Idea Place Sessions:
1.Value Proposition: Blogs are submitted and consumed for different reasons: social networking (i.e. ‘I Like TECHED’); deep technical knowledge sharing (i.e. How-to-Guides); announcements either from solution management or marketing; and sharing experience or information; and probably a few others not mentioned here. Are there specific use cases which should be enabled? Should separate channels be created to help facilitate discovery and consumption of relevant information? What are your ideas?
2. Information Architecture: While our blog categories today may be suffice for basic classification, there is a general lack of dimensionality on which to represent, search, and share blogs. What is your take on this? How would you structure the blogs?
3.Capabilities and Limitations: For those of you who have been with the SAP Community Network for several years will remember the time before a WYSIWYG editor (Word-like editor). In light of all of the cool eye candy present on other bleeding edge social networking sites, which capabilities and features do you feel are most important to implement? Are there any features you would like to limit or remove from the system?
4.Quality and Governance: The SAP Community Network prides itself on the quality of its member contributions, and we maintain these high standards with ongoing community support by volunteer moderators and constant review of blog submissions by various SAP employees. As a blog author or reader, do you value these values? Have you come to rely upon the integrity of the community and the content it produces? If you were to change something here, what would it be?
5.Anything Else: What additional ideas do you have in mind?
So, first and foremost how about making the Idea Place more accessible if you actually want any real feedback to improving the community?
Maybe SSO (Single Sign On) through the SCN forums would be a start. That way you could get Idea Place access...
I did have a lot of trouble getting logged in. My original / SCN logon e-mail info did not work. Had to "sign up" all over again but it immediately recognized my SCN info...
Not exactly what I expected but it did finally work...
What about SSO for the SCN network?
This is a well established tool and could be integrated with the SCN environment. or not as
this shows that SAP is going for wordpress where it works for that to happen.
For me ease of use is a big factor and part of why I don't blog on SDN so much.
That and being able to use a tool like windows live writer with an XML-RPC interface to blog offline and then submit later.
Does that help?
Now to the blogging: I actually chose to use my own site for my SAP related blogs years ago, only use SDN if I think the post is better placed here. I also do it as I like to keep my posts independent.
Whenever I sign into SDN to blog, the following problems seem to arise:
- Get the blogging experience to work across all mainstream browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), I still think there are problems
- what's it with all these certificates etc when you sign in? Why are there 2 different user IDs for the support area and the actual SDN site? They use the same ID, but there actually not
- make the blogging tools EASY TO FIND. It always takes me ages to actually find the bit where I can enter my blog post
- could the editor maybe be more WordPress-like, for example?
- why all these categories for my blog post? Can't I just add tags without any categories? They usually never fit anyway...
- it would also be great if new blogging tools would have some sort of Tweet plugin, ie automatically post a tweet with a link to the blog as soon as it has been posted on SDN
Search facilities: now, I know that the SDN team has been working hard on this and there has been improvement, but I still use Google most of the time to find anything on SDN.
Hope this works better. This is a real life project and you habve th eunique chance to influence the 2011 blog migration
first all I think SAP need input from outside.
The Idea Place could be one of this attractors.
I would recommend the following:
* generate inside SAP commitment in on perticlar area ( product def., solution management, product management and development )
for this type of insoucring ideas towards SAP
* show community and SAP that it works
* rollin into organisation
* finally you change the FB01
As my girl friend says "step by step" und "Los Los Los".
All the best in the years to come!